Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

My recent experience with Mastro and SoA

Old 08-26-2006, 11:10 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth_ej20
Heres a big point that no one is bringing up. Your car is USED! who knows that the hell the previous owner did. For all you know he/she spilled a gallon of water on the passenger side and vacumed up some of it leaving moisture under the carpet thus screwing up your ECU. It sucks but i have to go with Mastro on this one. Since it was not the cause of anything else on the car then its not their job to cover it under warranty. How do they know if something like the previous happened? just my .02 anyway

agreed on the causes. i dont know how long you've had the downpipe, but ECUs dont corrode overnight. sounds like it was previous owner's fault, for all you know, that car could have been heavily modded, put back to stock and sold, before you got it. For all we know, it could have had been lying on the floor out of its position while hooked up to a tuning system or something, and got a few rain drops on it or spilt their coke on it. u never know. ECUs dont corrode over night but circuit boards contain so much solder and electrical stuff, it takes the right time and place for the wrong part to corrode.

and i don't understand the people saying the downpipe is at fault. yes, its a "warranty-voiding" part, but apparently it was verified that it drained the same as another car. did they stick their finger in there to see if something perhaps was slightly blocking it? could it have been blocked by a squirrel's hidden nut, or a bug or something at some point, causing moisture to leak inwards? possibly. even then, it would have to been blocked for a considerable amount of time to not only fill up the surrounding plastic box that houses the evaporator core, but also leak down into the area of the ECU.

sucks to hear though. i can see both sides and where subaru wants to cover itself. it seems they don't put much faith into 'the customer is always right' theory (which in this case if worked out to pay half or covered under warranty, it would have guaranteed continued business). it's a tough call.

sounds to me the problem lies deeper:

1) SoA needs to revise it's warranty guidelines. To customers, they need to read ALL warranty paperwork when buying the car, esp. with plans to modify it. CLEAR guidelines on what is and isn't covered under warranty, both with modifications or not. It's common sense that this car is an often modified vehicle..car manufacturers need to realize this (granted, anything can be modified, but to these extents).

2) Someone needs to be kicked in the shins in the enineering dept at Subaru. No matter if it's a completely sealed ECU inside an airtight box with a force field, you don't have the one part of the interior of the car that produces a water byproduct and contains the only two fluids entering the car (coolant for heater and freon for a/c) designed to sit above or near the ECU. my car is ten years old and if the box that surrounds the heater and evap core leaks, it would be on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel over the carpet, where there isn't a harness, wire, ecu, or kid taking a bath holding a radio below it. Granted, this does not take the customer error/modification aspect out of it happening, but it allows the dealer to provide the clear answer w/o any question on 'What if...'. Gray areas are bad for business.

to me, i'd at least see if you could get a free consultation with a consumer attorney to see if there was some sort of presentable case to at least get the payment cut in half or perhaps it will get the whole company to revise warranty information and design (points 1 and 2). lol get eric seidel at fox 13 on it

good luck.

Last edited by dan; 08-26-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:29 AM
*Big Schpellar*

wow man that sucks...

but, there is no way of knowing what your buying when you get a used car.

Wish you the best in your ventures with any Stealership, SOA, and getting your car fixed.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:04 PM
rv7

Wow, it's been over a year. I just stumbled upon this thread, reread a lot of it and am reminded of what a shitty experience it was. Necroposting....FTL.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Hondas? Breakfast?! OK!

i could say that from my experience working there. That they do not make more money on warranty work. Thats bullshit. The mechanics make next to nothing on it. So what could have happened was a certain mechanic removed it so that he would get paid by the book instead of by the warranty work book...Couldve happened. But they dont make more on warranty work. This is completely a hypothetical situation by the way. Not trying to shit on my boys at mastro!

Also, another thing is im sure some of you guys already know. But if your cars are heavily modified the labor either goes up like crazy, or ive seen a few times were they refused the work. Depends on the situation. Some customers can be assholes too and get refused as well.

Last edited by AWDFURY; 11-27-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 AM

yes that does suck....but i wish i would have never even read your story. one cause i will always have in the back of my mind if i take my car to mastro that they suck and will fuck up...P.S. your not the first to have a problem there..or at any car place.

and two cause when i finished i was greatly unsatisfied with the ending...you should of fought them..lol j/j

sometimes there isnt much u can do...fucking bad beats