Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

My recent experience with Mastro and SoA

Old 08-24-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I still cant believe this. Bottom line is warranty would not cover it due to Corroded ECU on a 2005 STI. I have NEVER heard of a corroded ECU before on a car that was not exposed to flood damage that was 1.5 years old. The drain is fine as I have seen it drain exactly like my '06 did a few days ago. So because a plastic cover-that still wouldnt have blocked the wire connection area that was corroded-was missing from the ECU housing the warranty will not cover it? The area the ECU is in was not damp or wet in any way JUST the ECU so that makes no sense. Then, the dealrship found the cover and still same result?? They even said they had never seen it before- so instead of covering it under a freak incident it became the owners fault and he had to pay? Absolutely not.

The DP did not melt the AC drain line shut so the water "back up" theory is invalid. There is more to this story from a dealership standpoint that what is being told to Ryan and why it was not covered under warranty.

I have always had great experiences with Mastro and their staff so it came as a huge shock to me that the customer was immediately at fault due to a corroded ECU that no one has ever witnessed before. That couldve been me and my STI just like anyone else on here. I still cant believe its the owners fault for an unknown defect!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
rv7

Originally Posted by Silver_Moss_S14
hihobibo - I agree 100% that he could have left the cover off the ECU by accident but the fact remains that at that point the car was already dead due to a faulty/water-damaged ECU. If he had to remove this cover to see the damaged ECU it wouldn't have mattered as much as he knew for a fact that the cover was there and was able to describe it to the service department.

rv7 - I definately would like to hear the other side of the story as well. Your letter sounded objective enough to raise some flags at SOA...at least I hope. I am very interested to see what they have to say about this matter. I have to say, I'm quite impressed that you were able to keep your cool for that long and not blow up at anyone as that wouldn't have helped your case at all. I agree that there is something extremely strange about this situation and I personally think that it seems that someone is not telling the whole truth. I can understand why the owner did not want to admit that it was possible his master tech misplaced the ECU because then there could be a chance the blame would be put on him and his dealership. To me that just sounded like he was covering his ass.

I would really like to hear SOA's response to this. Make sure you update this thread!
I would love for you guys to hear the other side of the story. If I left anything out, I would truly appreciate it if someone from Mastro would point it out. I know for a fact that some Mastro employees read this forum, and there is no doubt in my mind that they will read this thread. I can honestly say that I tried my best to include every little detail possible. When I orignally asked Pete how he would feel if I shared my experience with others, I told him I would do so as objectively as possible, and that's what I'm doing.

As for the outcome from SoA, they basically regurgitated the same stuff that Mastro told me. I asked my customer service rep to confirm that I understood things correctly. My understanding is that they won't cover it under warranty because the ECU got wet, and they could only offer two possible explanations (missing ECU cover or A/C drain line melted) for the moisture on the ECU.

Please keep in mind that I'm aware that there are two sides to every story. It is not my intent to "bash" Mastro and I don't feel like I'm doing that. My objective is simply to make you all aware of what happened; you can draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by rv7; 08-24-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Master of the cut-off T'S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for kicks and giggles I think I'll call soa and maybe Mastro just to see what they say. Calling as a concern consumer. Probably not much but I'm curious to see what they'd say. I'm a subi fan, doesn't mean I won't buy one just not from Mastro. Your out money but here's some rep.

"If you don't set goals for yourself, you are
doomed to work to achieve the goals of
someone else."

Women might be able to fake orgasms but us men can fake a whole relationship.

V-TEC = Virtually-Torqueless Economic Cars
(PROG) Crew member #5

{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

O RLY?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm Slow

Unfortunately the moral of the story is don't mod your car if you expect anything to be covered under warranty. Sucks and it's harsh but it is true. The car should have been towed straight to the dealer , ECU shouldn't have been messed with and DP shouldn't have been on there. None the less, I think there is more to the story. Mastro has definetely been a mod friendly dealer and has covered repairs under warranty even though cars were modded. You might have gone about it in the wrong manner just my opinion

550/550
Old 08-24-2006, 11:01 AM
rv7

Originally Posted by I'm Slow
Unfortunately the moral of the story is don't mod your car if you expect anything to be covered under warranty. Sucks and it's harsh but it is true. The car should have been towed straight to the dealer , ECU shouldn't have been messed with and DP shouldn't have been on there. None the less, I think there is more to the story. Mastro has definetely been a mod friendly dealer and has covered repairs under warranty even though cars were modded. You might have gone about it in the wrong manner just my opinion
You read the wrong story; there is no "moral" here. This has nothing to do with my car being modded or not. There wouldn't have been an issue to argue and SoA would have never been involved if I was just another uninformed customer. Thankfully I looked at the ECU before it went in, otherwise I would have believed that the cover was missing and that would have been the end of it. Is it not odd that they found it the next day after I insisted that it was there?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 AM
DJC
Get Some...

Originally Posted by hihobibo
I know that the ECU was already dead, but I was saying that this whole denial of warranty work was because the plastic case was removed when the tech looked at it, so if he did accidentally leave it off, the denial was because of his action and not Mastro's tech.
Well yeah, but realistically that wouldn't matter. The ECU was dead BEFORE (anyone) pulled the plastic cover. What is the difference if the OP pulled it versus the master tech? If the denial is solely based on this $6 plastic cover being removed after the fact...then I don't know what to say except that it's utterly ridiculous.

facts based on the OP's letter:
*No record of ECU modding(assumption on my part, i dont know his mods)
*A/C slightly melted but still flowing(can you prove that this line still flows?)
*The Plastic cover WAS present

I don't know.

Last edited by DJC; 08-24-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm Slow

I don't agree that you were denied due to the missing plastic which does not seal the ECU from moisture completely it is a cover not a wrap. The whole situation seems weird, continue your efforts with SOA and see what they can do. Maybe they will meet you halfway.

550/550
Old 08-24-2006, 12:37 PM

man....Sorry to hear that story from anyone. I have heard that Mastro is better than most with mods. The one statement that gets me is that "Warranty work pays the dealership more money than if the customer pays out of pocket". If this is the case it must not only be new, but also exclusive to Subaru. I know to many service managers that will tell you otherwise. Still a bummer all the way around.

www.myspace.com/instockmedia
Old 08-24-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm Slow

Warranty work does pay more.

550/550
Old 08-24-2006, 01:59 PM
ehh?

Im sorry to have to read you'r story. I find it to be outrages that they would tell you "Warranty work pays the dealership more money than if the customer pays out of pocket." Now maybe Im just being ingnorant but that just doesn't sound possible. I know of a couple of people at the Subaru dealership in Jacksonville. Im going to ask them if that is so.

Now for you'r ECU to be corroded then it would probably have to be exposed to moisture for a decent amout of time. Have they proven or even figured out how that came too?

Also, how come they found the cover the next day after you said something? What made them look under the seat?

Thats the smartest thing you have ever said.