Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

EJ22t/EJ25 hybrid?

Old 08-09-2003, 05:26 AM
Elitist Supra Asshole :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ22t/EJ25 hybrid?

Hey, i just wanted to get your opinion this set up; whether its worth the trouble, if itll make good power, if the EJ25 parts are worth using, etc. My friend Eric in AZ already did this conversion, which is where i got the idea (imprezinator @ I-club.com)

EJ22t Shortblock from Subaru Parts, for the early 90's Legacy turbo.

then, retain all peripheral engine components from my MY01 2.5RS, like the Heads and intake.... and then using a turbo kit designed for a GC8 2.5RS and using proper fuel supporting mods.

I liek this idea better than just putting a turbo kit on a straight EJ25, or even a built-for-boost EJ25, mainly because of how the EJ25 makes monster torque when boosted... and the fact that the stock GC8 gearbox doesnt like torque all that much... so i figured "destroking" to the EJ22 would be better off, and make less low-end torque but be able to move the Redline higher.

lets here soem good input!

thanks
chris
Old 08-09-2003, 05:44 AM
danse

Your logic is sound and I've heard of the swap being done before. I'm thinking about doing a 2.2 stroker myself, though I'd start with a 2.0L block and move up. 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other, I guess. You would definitely save some bucks with the 2.5L internals being recycled. Depending on big you intend to go with the power, it could be a very nice swap. I want to stick with WRX ECUs myself, given the availability of EcuTek for management, etc. Sounds like your RS would be hauling some major ass.

Want to know what the war in Iraq is really costing America? Click here
Old 08-09-2003, 06:35 AM
Elitist Supra Asshole :)

yea, tahts what im hoping for... it sure would beat the hell out of the monster 165 HP that its rated at now... Finally, i can break out of the 15 second bracket.

IIRC, the GC8 EJ25 has SOHC... arent the older ones like the 96-99/GC6's DOHC? i think someone told me that the same EJ25's that had "Skirtkless" pistons also were the lucky ones that had DOHC heads... its been such a long time... probably 2 years since ive messed w/ scoobies.