Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 AM
scott hutch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S60R
Fortunately there's no need for a next time, I've felt it up enough times now and I'm happy with the mods and the way the car responds. Its not like this is some kind of long running experiment, I only got the sways on a couple weeks ago. A few repeated experiments at a few different speeds in a safe and open venue is all I needed to get a feel for a car's oversteering tendencies.

And I know all about slip angle. This is the kind of thing I would just normally go visit the Ray's stadium lot one evening after making my mods to test out, but I'm sure even the super-safety police (not to mention SPPD) would have a lot more issues with me going about things that way.

And I was effectively balancing the oversteer through all the turns to feel it out. If you pay attention the video every time I brake loose I was transitioning from the dryer pavement to the wet areas in the turn exits after I had my momentum aimed down the line to the next straight or corner. I'm not stupid about the risks involved, so if you observe carefully you will also see that I only pushed it once my momentum was aimed down the exit of the turn instead of taking any risks in the mid apex where my runoff room would be much more limited. That way if the car did react badly or I spun out that chances would be good that I would keep it on the pavement.

All this would have been easier if the track was either all wet or all dry, but I did my best to use what I was given.

Perhaps I'm just more paranoid than others about oversteer after owning a very tail happy car where misjudging it was guaranteed to result in an uncontrolled trip off the track ass end leading the way. With the volvo, not so much since I now know its hard to push the back end out too far and its easy to get it back even with the DTSC disabled.

As I said I'm open to advice, but when I hear 'don't ever push your car past its limits', I disagree strongly with the advice of the 'don't touch the limit' crew since that's what solo events and skidpads are for, lol.

Short of solo events and skidpads I will improvise where I can though, and I did.

As Jeff says, this weekend's event is about safety and I agree with that 100%.

so you ask for criticism then shrug it off entirely. You can say you were testing the oversteer as much as you want but you were driving like a pissed off teenager. You were given advise from experienced drivers. Driving for crap is not testing oversteer. If you drove normally and encountered oversteer then fine correct as needed . but you were practicing what would happen if you forgot how to turn. PLEASE take the advise listed by these experienced drivers earlier, and be safe out there. Good luck with the next event.