For Sale/WTB Mazda Strictly Mazda For Sale/WTB

"Free" 1990 1.6L engine

Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sleeping7
^even if you have the motor mounts it won't drop in either because you have to modify the subframe where the motor sits. Like stated above, it is going to be a lot of money and only a shop with the right kind of tools and equipment will be able to pull that off...
your a retard. the flyin miata swap kit is like 200 bucks and it takes a day worth of work to do.
not worth it to me for a short nose crank engine but its not as bad as you guys are making it out to be.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 AM
legend behind the cowl

I'll Give you $500 in credit for the engine. A typical R+R on a miata is 14 shop hours. there is a little extra labor in transferring all the sensors over. so $1246 If I credit you $500 it'll leave $746 plus the engine. but it'll be done correctly.

You can call 813-333-1100
Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 AM
RE-Member

Yes, you do not have to modify the sub frame, but it will take more than a day for a shade tree wrench to do, if it was a simple motor swap.

But he wants the person to install the turbo and get it running.

If he is going to use the turbo than he will want a aftermarket fuel injection computer, and would not need 90% of the Flying miata kit using most of the 1.8L stuff. Which is harder to do (rewiring the new sensors) and would require the purchase of said computer, which is not cheap even if he uses the $700 Miata PNP megasquirt (which I would use if I was doing it).

But Like I said above the shop value of the work he wants to have done is $2000 - $3000 for a $300 motor.

Now I would be glad to remove the motor for the parts but install and get the sucker running? no way.

Eddie
Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Fap Fap Fap

The turbo "kit" is not a KIT at all Evan. It's a setup, which you need to get a fuel system capable of running boost before even attempting to install. I told both you and your dad that there was a lot of work involved with swapping the 1.8 into the 1.6 frame, let alone making it boost ready.

If you really want this car to be up and running right, then i would hold off on having the setup installed until you have at least $2000 saved up. You have no engine management for the turbo, and I'm not bashing you but you need to learn to drive the car before you boost it. You've got a great platform to learn proper technique with, get the 1.8l swapped in and save your money.

Maybe you should put the "kit" back up on craigslist Evan, then if it sells you'll have the money to have the car built by a professional.

By the way, the turbo "kit" he has is the setup i used to have on my 450+rwhp miata. He just has no means of running it to it's potential. Give the kid a break everyone, he's like 15.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Fap'n
The turbo "kit" is not a KIT at all Evan. It's a setup, which you need to get a fuel system capable of running boost before even attempting to install. I told both you and your dad that there was a lot of work involved with swapping the 1.8 into the 1.6 frame, let alone making it boost ready.

If you really want this car to be up and running right, then i would hold off on having the setup installed until you have at least $2000 saved up. You have no engine management for the turbo, and I'm not bashing you but you need to learn to drive the car before you boost it. You've got a great platform to learn proper technique with, get the 1.8l swapped in and save your money.

Maybe you should put the "kit" back up on craigslist Evan, then if it sells you'll have the money to have the car built by a professional.

By the way, the turbo "kit" he has is the setup i used to have on my 450+rwhp miata. He just has no means of running it to it's potential. Give the kid a break everyone, he's like 15.
hey thanks and that is what i am going to do and i tryed craigslist and i keep getting people wanting me to send it do like the UK....any way thanks alot for the info!!!! and what do you think is a good price for the turbo??and when i get the money do you know of any good shops i could do that??

Thanks again
Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by treekiller
I'll Give you $500 in credit for the engine. A typical R+R on a miata is 14 shop hours. there is a little extra labor in transferring all the sensors over. so $1246 If I credit you $500 it'll leave $746 plus the engine. but it'll be done correctly.

You can call 813-333-1100

how would you credit me?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:08 AM
legend behind the cowl

By giving you a $1250 job for $750.. I thought that was clear. of course that's a straight R+R I also have a program where you can use my shop to do your work. with me present for the occasional technical question at only $25/hr but for me to swap and install the 1.8 swap kit it's 14-15 hours.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:46 AM

lol this thread is win. buy a 240 please.
damn i wish there was a shop here in gville that would let me use their shit! doing things on a lift with air tools shaves off so much time...i would have loved to have that available when i was doing my transmission swaps....
Old 04-01-2009, 06:54 AM

where is the shop located?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:23 AM

are you guys sure you have to modify the subframe? i dont like to question most of you guys cause i havent been a miata owner for very long but i thought all na cars had the same subframe. and iv looked up tons of write ups on the swap and no one mentions anything other then the mounts, tb adapter and sensors. can someone shed some light on what modifications must be done to the subframe?