The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

Johnny Cash Mustang project

Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so after measuring things up I was still not happy with the height of the car, I was trying to get the clearance down to 4 inches. After looking things over again I decided there was only one way to do this and keep enough suspension travel.......notch the frame

and away we went................

This is the piece that was removed from the rail, in the background you can see where the notch was filled and welded back together....

and with it all back together..........again

in this photo you can clearly see the wheelbase stretch by looking at the front fender well.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:27 PM

OK we had a oil pressure debacle that I had to deal with, which included pulling the engine back out of the car and going through it...again.
So it finally runs and motivates on it's own.....

I have a bunch of detail work to do in the engine bay

and the interior

Last edited by blacksheep-1; 12-15-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Fenders are now on the car.....yahoo!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM

Ok so the car went to my paint booth, picked up "competition white" the brightest white I could find.

Buffing and detailing (and fixing mistakes..)

Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 PM

I love how this project is coming along..never seen a mustang with those flares but it definitely works...if you ever want to do bodywork on another fox let me know
'88 Mustang GT, Edelbrock Intake Mani..70mm tb w/ egr delete...mass air conversion with 24# injectors...4:11 gears...5 lug disc swap...e303 cam...bbk shorties x-pipe to flowmaster dumps...bbk cai....lowered WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/SNAKESNSTANGS
Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 PM

...if you ever want to do bodywork on another fox let me know
I NEVER want to do this much body work on another car, these fenders are unreal, I had to widen the passenger side by an inch, they aren't straight since they're competition glass....I had to weld in a support on the cowl to try and get the fenders to fit the doors.

ANYWAY....roll out time

It actually looks remarkably stock until you take a second look.

It's hard to believe it started out as this 50 buck hulk

Last edited by blacksheep-1; 01-21-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM

OK so I decided that this car needs a splitter, not so much to aid the high speed handling but rather to protect the front body work from errant cones, which sooner or later will be assassinated So I purchased some 3/8 plywood and mocked up the splitter

I then measured 3.5 inches from the spoiler lip dot by dot to establish the curve of the splitter..

Then I connected the dots

and started laying it out to cut

Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 PM

OK so the splitter was cut out and painted with bed liner black since that is the most bulletproof stuff I could think of...In retrospect I should have cut out several small access holes instead of one big one...next time

I picked up some hardware, especially the "C" type captive nuts for inside the fiberglass spoiler.

I bolted it on the car using existing holes in the radiator support and then drilling the spoiler lip

I also installed the aluminum hood pins and used rubber tubing to create the right hood height to line up with the fenders

the hood pins and splitter installed

There, a functional splitter that any Honda owner could love
Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 PM

Alrighty! several updates, first off I got tired of the stock headers leaking, I had used GT40P heads and had to "massage" the headers to fit the whackadoo plug angle. So I gave up and bought a set of Ford Motorsport GT40P headers and installed them, along with an "x" pipe and turbo mufflers. The I've slowly been installing things like new belt line moldings, and weatherstripping so the car started to look pretty nice, so nice in fact that the crappiest part of the exterior was the paint job soooooo. I pulled everything back off the car and block sanded the fenders and other indiscretions that I had ignored because it was a "race car" paint job. That has now been done and the car is in re-reassembly with all the new moldings and such.
Pics to follow.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 PM

Ok painted, buffed and most of the details added.....

Interior, which still needs to be cleaned and detailed..

Fuel cell and rollover vent..

dash and tach.....

with all the body work attached...

Quick Reply: Johnny Cash Mustang project