Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

turbo rebuilds

Old 04-08-2007, 07:16 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo rebuilds

i know this is asked alot, but is there a local place to do a rebuild?

my turbo has been fine, but my manifold cracked. so this weekend i pulled it off to clean the housing, since there is some small traces of oil and gunk (pcv/vale cover vent runs to intake pipe w/o a catch can), and discovered this:

yup. pretty shitty. anyways, the turbo has no shaft play and is within specs there. all i really need is a new turbine wheel, which will require a balancing, and while im at it, i might as well get it rebuilt with new seals. it is journal bearing.

i'd like to try and get it done locally, as im not the slightest idea where to ship it off to. the compressor wheel seems fine, and i'd like to keep this unless buying a new one is worth it.

any answers appreciated, thanks.

ps specs of it now:

TO4E compressor
.60 a/r housing
50 trim wheel

Journal bearing CHRA - oil cooled only

T3 turbine
.63 a/r housing
Stage 2 wheel (This is assumed, as a friend says it doesn't look like Stage 3 --- if it turns out this way, i also want to opt for Stage 3 wheel)
Old 04-09-2007, 03:17 AM
Rocket Scientist

I just had mine rebuilt by Extreme Turbo Shop in Lakeland. Call Rob 863-647-3700.
Here is there web site.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:37 AM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

thanks, in my area too.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:50 PM
TR Admin Alumni

sourskittle would have said the same thing
Old 04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

Originally Posted by scnat
sourskittle would have said the same thing
yup, i got a tour when i dropped it off, and there is a box with about 20 srt-4 upgrades (minus turbine housing obviously)...apparently they are evo 8 turbos or something?

and yeah i get the but i didnt know bryan's turbo wasnt stock til like 3 weeks ago. i guess im the only one who didnt know .
Old 04-16-2007, 05:27 PM
army pilot

Dan let me know when you are going to pick your turbo up I want to see the shop and (fingers crossed) hope to buy a holset 9cm turbine housing from them.

Originally Posted by Tackleberry
thats an insult to a circus
Old 04-16-2007, 08:15 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

k, they havnt actually called me yet he was supposd to pull it apart thurs but im gonna have to get on them. i hear they can be slower at times but theres only a few guys and they do meticulous and awesome work though. and my manifold and stuff wont be in for at least another week, but i need to get word from them so i can make a decision on whether or not to upgrade wheels or whatnot and have him give me the damage totals and course of action. but when i go pick it up ill let u know. its right across the street from the airport here in lakeland, bout 5 min from the i-4/polk parkway spot.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Where racing is a pleasur

Yea Dan, shoulda got with me sooner.

Man your lucky you caught that !! With that much missing from the turbine shaft, your turbo is UBER outta balence, it didn't have too much longer at all until it completely let go and killed everything ( turbowise ).

Yea, they know me well My turbo is stock, its just re-worked a bit The truth is, its a cut down EVO wheel ( EVO wheel cut down to not over stress the turbine), clipped turbine, and bored compressor inlet. Peroid. While the changes are small, they help a lot with this td04 choking the big 2.4L down.

I didn't even know you had your turbo there. The 60E compressor out of your turbo is almost the size of my entire compressor housing

I've known these guys for years, and they've always done me right. Timing isn't always there specialty, but the workmanship is there. Anyone that's ever built anything custom know how time consuming fabrication and precision work is.

Hope to see you around Dan.
7.5@96mph on my stock turbo
02' wranlger apex edition with EFI 5.0L 302 SBF. 5.5'' lift, custom 4-link 8.8 in the rear, high pinion D30 front with locker.
A wise man once said, " I didn't wash my hands b/c my D**K is cleaner then ANYTHING, in that bathroom"
Old 05-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Where racing is a pleasur

Ole yea, and if you need your manifold re-welded, I can help you out there too...
02' wranlger apex edition with EFI 5.0L 302 SBF. 5.5'' lift, custom 4-link 8.8 in the rear, high pinion D30 front with locker.
A wise man once said, " I didn't wash my hands b/c my D**K is cleaner then ANYTHING, in that bathroom"
Old 05-10-2007, 02:49 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

LOL yeah he showed me the whole box of upgrades for SRT's. it does wonders though, look at your car!

my dad actually picked it up the other day, he works just down the road. i might have bugged them too much but the turbine shafts were on national backorder and on the snail mail from california, nothing u can do about that. rob had it together within an hour tho! it looks brand new, no forward to back shaft play, and just a tiny tad of side to side, but within spec. spins free.

im just wrestling with my hotpipe/intake pipe clearances before i can get her started back up. the car should feel totally different now with the log setup and slightly smaller downpipe (but it was pre-fab/plug and play). these setups usually put out numbers reminiscent of turbo fox bodies and/or your car (good hp, ridiculous torque)...a few are doing like 330/390 LOL.

dave (im phucked) - i know i been busy working the 8-5 shit now. school for summer is starting back up, ill have tues afternoons off, so let me know if u wanna head over and check out zee shop.