Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

Internal Wastegate > External

Old 02-19-2005, 10:22 AM
S130 love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Wastegate > External

Right now I have been having problems with the internal flapper door. It moves fine and you can move it back and forth but with a 8lb actuator spring on it, it will go to 15 lbs. I took the actuator off to see if that was the problem and it would still boost up to 15 without it. I think the problem is the flapper door cannot keep up with the ammount of flow. What I am curious about is what has anyone done to put an external on. I know you can have the flapper door welded shut but is there a better way, has anyone done somethiny else, or who actually welded the flapper door shut?? I want to get a nice Tial external wastegate and have a pipe with a flange fabricated into the exhaust manifold. External is a lot better than internal, I wont have future problems with holding boost etc. I just want to do it the right way.

Thanks,
-Ant

Last edited by AnTman86T; 02-19-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:03 AM
S130 love

This is for the 280. I would really like not to mess with the manifold and have someone make a plate so I can just run the external wastegate out of the housing where that flapper door hole already is. I am not really sure of everything needed to fabricate to do it.. but I was curious how much I was looking at or who could do it?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:11 AM

You have to have a wastegate flange welded to your manifold before the turbo to use an external gate. I don't know how you would run an external gate off that little ass wastegate port on the exhaust housing. Thats whats causing the over boost to start with, the port isn't big enough to rid the all of the excess exhaust. As far as covering the existing port, buy a new exhaust flange for your turbo, they make them so it blocks that hole off.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:32 PM
S130 love

Recommend any shop / someone to do this by any chance? I am not doing this at the very moment. I am still saving up money. It is the next thing to do though. As well as the entire fuel setup. I am looking into Tial wastegates. How is it you know what MM to choose? Is there a certain rating on each MM or how does that work? I know you can select spring pressure but not sure about anything else.

Last edited by AnTman86T; 02-22-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:31 AM

as far as MM's go. 35mm is sufficient unless your shooting for quadruple digit horsepower numbers.