Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

PSA: Don't do business with civic99!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Drinker of the Dew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSA: Don't do business with civic99!

I know this isn't technically the right place to post this but it involves a lens I just sold him less then a week ago and I believe he will be posting a for sale ad here for it(again). The lens is an Nikon 18-105 VR and it was dropped by me a few weeks ago rendering the VR useless and making the lens very soft or un-sharp. I sold it with full disclosure and even provided sample photos taken with the lens. I just saw an ad posted in the for sale area for this same lens without any mention whatsoever of the flaws it carries, and of course a much higher price tag, so I posted in the thread asking if he would mention the flaws and the ad was soon deleted. I then received this msg from civic99:
Originally Posted by civic99
"just because I got a good deal with you it means I have to sell it for that, I don't have simpathy and you shouldn't go on my thread and try to scare my business away by saying it so bluntly"
I then replied:
Originally Posted by Jake2k
I don't give a rats ass how much you sell it for but are you really that shitty of a person you would sell a flawed lens without informing the buyer? I had a suspicion that you were gonna pull some shit like this when I met you but it still surprises me that there are people like you out there who care so little for everyone but themselves. If you have any speck of decency you will provide full disclosure about the lens wherever you try to sell it and if not I will do my best to make sure that people know the story behind it.
He just replied to that but most of it was juvenile insults except this little jem:
Originally Posted by civic99
"You even said on your original post, I can sell it like this and noone would know, so it is none of your business what I do"
So needles to say no one should be doing business with this person and I feel it's my responsibility to inform everyone.

Just for reference here is my original ad for the lens:

I've been using this lens since December of 09, I've kept it super clean and have never had any issues with it... until the other day when it and my camera took a spill off my tripod onto the living room carpet.

Now before you stop reading this doesn't mean that this lens is a "for parts only" deal, it still operates fine, it auto-focuses just as quick as always, the zoom and focus rings are smooth, the front and back glass are in perfect condition and there are no marks or scratches on the casing. The only issues are that the VR(vibration Reduction) has stopped working and the photos don't come out as sharp.

It still takes awesome pictures but unfortunately they fall just out of range of the standards I need in my photography, I'll put up a few of my photos so you can see just how much sharpness is important to me. This is a good "walk-around" lens that gives you a great wide angle out to a nice telephoto range and it would be perfect for anyone who needs something for vacations, family outings, portraits, etc., hell if I didn't need the money to fund a new lens I'd be keeping it myself.

In all honesty I could probably list this lens as in perfect condition and the buyer would probably never know there was anything wrong with it but I'm not that kind of person, I'd rather take less money for it and have a clean conscience.

$165 obo

Photos of lens and sample photos went here
Please spread the word, thanks,

"Thirty-six satisfactory exposures on a roll means a
photographer is not trying anything new." - Freeman Patterson

Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM
No real JDM here

The lens is 300 on amazon and I posted it for 200 obo... if someone tries the lens out and doesn't like it then I won't sell it.. I let people try before they buy every time I sell something, I've been doing it for over 3 years and I'm the one that has gotten scammed.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Drinker of the Dew

That method works fine for a product that works as it should but if you know for a fact that something is wrong with it you should disclose that information, not doing so makes you a scammer plain and simple.

I'm not asking that you not sell the lens for more than what I sold it for, I'm completely happy with the amount I got and bought a replacement lens that same night. I'm just asking that you do the right thing and let people know exactly what they're buying.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Drinker of the Dew

Here's his Craigslist post he just posted:

Selling it as in "mint ondition" yea your not a scammer...

Old 07-31-2011, 09:31 PM

ya shouldnt be labled mint conditon. i guess buyer beware. thanks for the heads up
Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 PM
No real JDM here

Wow you really need to get a fucking life you fat bitch. Hop off for real. I already got a buyer anyway I'm meeting him at noon
Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 PM
No real JDM here

Mind you own business for real, pictures are sharp enough for the normal shooter I don't want to scare anyone away just leave it alone damn...it's not like I'm stealing, they can try it all they want and if they don't like it so be it.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 AM
Drinker of the Dew

Its painfully obvious that you bought the lens from me with the intention to resale it under false info to make a quick buck. In my book that sort of thing is just as bad as stealing from someone. And you trying to insult me isn't going to do anything but prove how immature you are.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 AM
ITPete.com

civic99, you do have the right to re-sell the lens for any price you feel. And saying you let people try the lens out before they buy is great, but when you list it as mint condition is just wrong. You know for a fact that the VR feature of this lens is broken, yet you advertise it as mint. If I was a buyer and got there to find out it wasn't as described, I would be upset. First because you lied about the condition and second because you wasted my time. Trying to sell me something broken without telling me it was broken is the part that is a scam. Just because you let them try it out first doesn't make it right. If you advertise the flaws with your current asking price, you will still probably find someone interested in the lens, and it might make the sale go easier on you and the buyer if you are straight up about the condition to begin with.

I'm not saying anyone in this thread is right or wrong, just trying to help both parties get what they want in the right way.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 AM
No real JDM here

I did not buy to resell it and if I did I do not see a problem as alot of people do that for a living, it is better than doing drugs or stealing so I don't see the problem, if the lens was a tad sharper I would keep it, plus you do not know if I repaired it or not you stubby fat fuck now stop getting between my business because when you stop me from getting money then it becomes really personal, just stop while you're ahead.

Quick Reply: PSA: Don't do business with civic99!