Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

Why is it that.....

Old 07-14-2008, 07:25 PM
ERG
I do precision guesswork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it that.....

.....some of these car shoots focus on the location more than the car? Don't get me wrong, the location is important, but shouldn't it be secondary to the actual subject? I mean, when you are at a show and a car catches your attention, do you step back and say "damn it looks really cool in front of that building" or do you move closer and begin focusing on the many different aspects and components that make that car cool?

I guess my question is; isn't it the photographer's job to cover all of the important aspects of the car and tell it's story, or should it be about the building, bridge, or mural that its parked in front of?

I'm not trying to start any shit, just want to better understand some of these photoshoots!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:34 PM

I think the whole location thing is more for the owners of the cars, cause who doesnt like a purty background, but its also about finding someplace creative that can make the car pop. I know we like choosing locations where there are sunsets because we like to use lighting and its a challenge to see if we can do something you couldnt do without lighting, and capture a picture thats otherwise impossible.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

^agreed x2.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 PM
ERG
I do precision guesswork

Good point Btuner! I guess a shoot for the car's owner is much different than a shoot on behalf of the car's owner.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
i take photos

agreed on all aspects the spot is important to the shot a good amount of the time cause you need lighting and a decent amount of angles/sides to shoot from but the car should be focused on more than the location think about it like this if your going to take pics of a car take pics of it if your going to take scenery pics there not much reason for the car to be there
Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 PM
i take photos

^ also depends on what the pics are for
Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Low N Slow

i personally enjoy both if the background/location flows well with the whole picture sometimes i will put the car to one side of the entire shot..

Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Official Photo Ninja

I have always liked a good background and car.

I mean look at the shots that were done on the Grand Prix Track.

Official Photographer of Festivals of Speed St. Pete, Orlando, & Miami.

Canon 7D..Stepped up my Game
Old 07-15-2008, 08:31 AM
ERG
I do precision guesswork

Originally Posted by SaturnTypeR
I have always liked a good background and car.

I mean look at the shots that were done on the Grand Prix Track.
I agree that the HGP track shots were very, very nice!!

I guess I have more of a journalistic approach to shooting a car, much like you would see in any car magazine. I mean, take a look at any spread in a car magazine and you wouldnt see 10 similar shots of the car in front of various structures and locations. At one or two appropriate locations, you would have unique shots of the front corner, rear corner, engine, interior, rolling, etc.. mixed with a few close-ups of details that make the car even more intersting. The idea is to showcase the car's best qualities and features in an appealing format.

It appears that most of TR's shoots are for the owners themselves, which I assume have requested more of a scenic image of their car at a famous landmark or favorite location, much like the portrait of a family member.

I just can't imagine why someone would want 25-35 pictures showing the outside of their car in front of various buildings/locations that sometimes dominate the image and actually hide the car.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:33 AM
<<<Tampa<<< >>>Bay>>>

Just to add another thought. A lot of threads are of cars that have already been shot numerous times. New location = new shot. Like Kirk just for example, he will post up new shots every month sometimes. New locations so were not just looking at the same ol car.