Paint, Body, and Detailing Discussions on how to keep your ride clean, shiny, and straight

Insurance / Body Shops / Consumers

Old 12-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan
I lied. THIS is my last insurance debate post.

The appraiser will write to pull it. If the shop can't repair the existing panel a supplement will be written to replace.

The same exact thing happened to the damages on my old Scion. When I walked into Gene Perez for an estimate they originally wrote to cut the quarter and weld in a replacement. When State Farm called me and setup a drive-in inspection at Gene Perez the EXACT SAME appraiser inspected my car again, but this time he wrote to pull the panel. Repairing the existing panel is much cheaper than cutting out the old and replacing it with a new panel. This isn't an uncommon practice if the panel doesn't look like an obvious candidate for a replacement panel.

well thats true unless its progressive you are dealing with, your fixing that darn panel or else!

Lethal Fab
Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

Originally Posted by Hellfire_Studios
Mike....if you had the decision to enter into this field again...knowing what you know now....would you still do it?

Josh
I honestly don't know, I really like what i do, and i can repair cars that would be inconcieveable to be repaired to the average eye. But the way this industry is, is what makes it unbearable, the pay system, and pressure from owners, managers, insurance and customers. Something is going to have to change because shit is about to hit rock bottom, the pay/wages and how every responcibility, warranty and freebie's are passed onto the tech. Maybe if I can find a decent salary with a contract and let the shop worry if their getting paid or not. And this i think is what causes alot of problems with insurance companys, because we get paid on the labor hours and if the time isn't there then we loose directly, sure the shop dosen't make the money either, but we the TECHS are the ones that have to do the work/procedure for free with no compensation, and you are not gonna get quality work like that.

Lethal Fab
Old 12-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Wide Open and Sideways!

Here is the car after we straightened the door and the quarter. Car looks pretty good but to the trained eye it will always look a little off. There was just too much bent metal there for it to be perfect. I mean from two feet it looks good but if you get on the side and look at all the body lines something just doesn't seem right.

Oh well, I guess a quarter panel pushed in six inches doesn't justify replacing it. The door jamb also was pulled out the quarter was so far out of place. The door was hammered and dollied from the inside and then skimmed. We didn't like it but that's the way life is.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:35 PM
SUREAL CUSTOMZ

thats how my 1/4 is too... lol i just didnt wanna change the quarter right now... so how is everyones elses shop doin?! bc my shop is SLOW AS SHIT!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 PM
slash

i wouldve wrote to replace that qt, its close enough to 2/3 to me, especially after pull and sand ect! but if its close to totaling and you're trying to save it from a total loss, like if the owner request, and the shop is confident they can pull it and it'll look good, then write to pull it. that way you dont have to remove/install the rear and side glass either. but what do i know!
this is how we do it in georgia anyways
TRick Squad Member #3
VicPrez of IttyBittyTittyCommittee

Old 12-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by surealconcepts
thats how my 1/4 is too... lol i just didnt wanna change the quarter right now... so how is everyones elses shop doin?! bc my shop is SLOW AS SHIT!!!
got more work than I can handle.....was slow last month but its crazy now...

Mike hang in there....

Josh
"Diamonds are forever!"
Old 12-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

Originally Posted by Hellfire_Studios
got more work than I can handle.....was slow last month but its crazy now...

Mike hang in there....

Josh
just give me the noose!

Originally Posted by Sabotage
i wouldve wrote to replace that qt, its close enough to 2/3 to me, especially after pull and sand ect! but if its close to totaling and you're trying to save it from a total loss, like if the owner request, and the shop is confident they can pull it and it'll look good, then write to pull it. that way you dont have to remove/install the rear and side glass either. but what do i know!
this is how we do it in georgia anyways
what do you mean by 2/3? Guaging from the pics the quater panel looked repairable if enough repair time was written(and if you know and Use the FAIRMONT method you could straighten that qtr very well) this i believe would be the best repair since it would be less technician intrusion, and you wouldnt be breaking factory seams which would enable better corrosion protection, than cutting the whole 1/4 off. BUt what do i know

Lethal Fab
Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Lethal Fabrication.com

And i still have no explanation or facts or any other sides of my issues responded to? lol

Lethal Fab
Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 PM
slash

Originally Posted by killerMikeD
what do you mean by 2/3? Guaging from the pics the quater panel looked repairable if enough repair time was written(and if you know and Use the FAIRMONT method you could straighten that qtr very well) this i believe would be the best repair since it would be less technician intrusion, and you wouldnt be breaking factory seams which would enable better corrosion protection, than cutting the whole 1/4 off. BUt what do i know
here we have a 2/3rds rule, if making a repair vs replace decision and the panel is 2/3 or more damaged, then we write to replace. also, there is a threshold for repair hrs, if it reaches that threshold then we replace. the threshold is looked up on each panel vehicle specific. these are some of the many guidelines i'm allowed to write w/in. i may not agree completely with them all but its not my money i'm writting the checks for!
TRick Squad Member #3
VicPrez of IttyBittyTittyCommittee

Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Wide Open and Sideways!

Can you PM me with the details of this "Fairmont Method?"

EDIT: By the way, we're busier than we can handle right now. Have two cars at another shop that we had on their frame machines that have been done for a week and we still aren't ready for them. Good thing there not in a rush for them.