Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

pondering of V8s

Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM
buildin' it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pondering of V8s

I'm entertaining the idea of a possible V8 swap.
---- for those wanting to skip the read - click here for the shorter notes
My 300zx project car has fallen to a state that it is going to take a full rebuild just to get it back on the road, and if it gets built to where I want it to be, it is going to require a significant budget. And even at that, there is a large chance that it would fall short of my power goals anyway, since the plan is to keep it NA.
The idea is to build a fun to drive daily driver, that you don't have to rev the snot out of just to get it to scoot along. Anyone that has driven a NA 300zx before can attest, you have to rev the snot out of them to get them to go anywhere. So some low end grunt would be good.

So, between the desired power goals, and the required budget, all of the sudden, some V8 swaps start to look really appealling. As much as I'd love to build a torquey, decently high powered NA 300zx using the VG30, it just doesn't seem very realistic, and keeping it tame enough to daily drive. Not at this point in life anyway.

Of course, the first thought is an LS1 swap. LS power ererythang!! 'Merica Fuck yeah!
Really digging the power. 345 hp, 350 ft-lbs. Especially how the fast it makes torque. It would effectively double the available low end torque. Which it should considering it is almost double the displacement. The downside I'm seeing here is the cost of the swap itself. It would be really sweet to get a running parts car, and that means $5,000 just for that. I've seen just the motor set alone sell for over $2,000.

Next thought is something in the Nissan family. The VK45DE. Figure if it is good enough to replace the GTR's VR38DETT engine to go racing with, then it would be good enough for my swap. Power wise, it is rather similar, stock for stock, to an LS making 340hp and 333 ft-lbs. Peak power all comes on at about the same time too. I've never seen a stock dyno for one to see how the power curve really looks, but making similar power at a similar RPM would lead me to believe the lower end power could potentially be similar too. Maybe that is a foolish thought. Anyway, while the engine is pretty cool, I've not seen many people selling the engine, and to get a part's car, you're back up to and over that $5,000 mark.

What are you thoughts between doing an LS1 swap vs doing a VK45DE swap?

Now, to throw a wrench into the whole thing. The other option. the VH45DE. Power wise, it is the furthest down the list. 310 hp, and 330 ft-lbs. And that's debatable depending on who you ask because the manufacturer published numbers were more like 278 hp and 294 ft lbs but that was supposed to be without the variable valve timing. the 1995 and the 1996 made the same power, with the only difference being that the 1996 no longer had VTC. Makes me wonder what the power curve on this engine looks like. The major upside to this engine is that you can get a running/driving parts car for under 2 grand. Maybe times, under 1,500 bucks. Makes this swap seem very very appealing. You'd be able to rebuild the engine, get the swap done, and maybe a few mods, and be under the cost of the parts car for the other swaps, and theoretically, be not too far off on power. The VH seems to be a pretty good option, but is it going to end up being another one of those rev the snot out of it situations?

The last option is to say screw the V8's, and just build the VG30DE. Bore it out, maybe even stroke it. High compression. 6 speed transmission for tighter gearing. and hope for the best. Already having the drive train, not having to do an actual swap, means the budget would go straight towards engine building. You'd make a pretty decent amount of power throwing $5,000 at the VG. But, how drivable is it gonna be?

Last edited by Empire; 10-11-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 AM
buildin' it

short notes -

entertaining the idea of a v8 swap into my 300zx, needing ideas of which way to go
goal being a fun to drive, daily driver with low end grunt.

option one - LS1 - 345 hp, 350 ft-lbs. - potentially $5,000 just for the donor car

option two - VK45DE - 340hp, 333 ft-lbs - potentially +$5,000 just for donor car

option three - VH45DE - 310hp, 330 ft-lbs - average donor car $1,500

any engine offer any significant advantage over the other?
is the low budget option going to produce the same as the other more expensive options?

Not looking for wheel stands. I just don't want to deal with Camry's leaving me at the light because it takes a minute to build up enough revs to get into power enough to scoot the heavy 300zx ass around.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 PM
.....taste the rainbow

VK56DE

FTW!

Ponies are relatively close, but substantially more torque than all 3.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Doesnt see what you did

Originally Posted by KRUKED
VK56DE

FTW!

Sure if you just look at the stock peak number. Modified and $ for $ the LS swap is going to make more power, torque, diamonds, plutonium, and cookies. Now back in reality, the VK56 is HUGE externally, the VH is in the same boat, anyone who's looked around under the hood of a Z32 has probably cringed at the sight, i'd be trying to do an LR4 or something like that, and use the solstice AR5 if I was set on putting a V8 Z33 together.
full on track cars can take a lot more liberties with shit than a street car. bell bottom kits and crazy wheel fitment look cool sliding on a track, but when i want to drive to taco bus, im going to ruin all of that shit. so it just doesnt work for me. function over fashion.
Originally Posted by osama tim laden
also, im about to blow my moderator status by deleteing all of davids posts
R.I.P. Tim

SR, RB, and LS1 into S13/14 harnesses converted.

SR 13/13- $120, 13/14 or 14/13 $180
RB $200
LS1 $250
Old 10-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

Get a LS2.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Doesnt see what you did

Originally Posted by Tom N
Get a LS2.
While that's a great way to squish the VK power wise, he was looking for more affordable options, one of the aluminum block 5.3's will save a good bit of money, as well as the AR5.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:22 AM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

You can't go wrong with a LSx.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 PM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by KRUKED
VK56DE
FTW!
could be kinda cool with some custom strut towers and no hood. lol. would look like a monster going down the road. lol.

Originally Posted by Z28ricer
Sure if you just look at the stock peak number. Modified and $ for $ the LS swap is going to make more power, torque, diamonds, plutonium, and cookies. Now back in reality, the VK56 is HUGE externally, the VH is in the same boat, anyone who's looked around under the hood of a Z32 has probably cringed at the sight, i'd be trying to do an LR4 or something like that, and use the solstice AR5 if I was set on putting a V8 Z33 together.
LR4 = GM 4.8 liter vortec? interesting idea.
wouldn't have thought the ar5 tranny would hold up that well. isn't it only rated for something like 250 ft-lbs.

the more I see about the VH swap, the more promising it looks.
not a huge fan of the way this guy did some things, but it does make the swap seem almost "easy" VH45DE swap info, fitment issues and things to consider : 300ZX (Z32) General
having a hard time finding another option that works as well as this one does for the money.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Good luck on your build.-Bob

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Old 10-15-2013, 03:37 AM
S one 4

I'd personally love to see the VK50VE stuffed into an S-chassis.