Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Distributor question

Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM
.....taste the rainbow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor question

Is it... I don't flippin' know.

Does this slit ring appear to be ok? It has some markings. Water? Heat? Wear? I haven't tried cleaning it yet of fear of screwing it up

Car has a problem only on cold start. It's intermittent. Don't feel like going into depth because it's a book. Will start a different thread on needing help if problem can't be narrowed down. For now, just need to know if this is ugly or ok.

Thank you, love you, (no homo).

Side "A"

Surface area that faces the cap.

Side "B"

Surface area that faces the block.

Last edited by KRUKED; 02-22-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Because race car…

so you pulled apart your dizzy? no spare? i do not evey you if you have gotten to this point.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
.....taste the rainbow

I pulled apart the spare first to figure out how not to screw up the one in the block. The spare might be ok. Not too fond on pulling the one in the block out yet because I don't feel like messing w/ timing yet. I'll wind up writing my book tonight probably
Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Because race car…

Will it (your book) be Empire worthy? So you've done the coolant temp sensor swap? And know that you have good fuel pressure upon start up after the car has sat for a while? Hence the book?

I hate to see a nice 240 struggle to come to life. :\
Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 PM

What exactly is this issue your trying to solve?

The wheel itself looks fine. However it may have gotten a oil on it, or maybe just dirty water..
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 AM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by KRUKED
I'll wind up writing my book tonight probably
that's probably a good idea

Originally Posted by rhart
Will it (your book) be Empire worthy?
I hope so *insert giddy dance here*

Does this slit ring appear to be ok?
Yeah, it looks ok. I've seen worse.
It has some markings. Water? Heat? Wear? I haven't tried cleaning it yet of fear of screwing it up
looks like some oil. it happens. I've gotten into some that were black.
You ought to be able to wipe it off nicely without much fear of hurting anything. Just don't let the cloth snag itself in any of those slits and don't push so hard that you bend it any. even 1* of warp could be enough to screw stuff up.

Car has a problem only on cold start. It's intermittent. Don't feel like going into depth because it's a book.
Might wanna start on that book cause going from a cold start problem to taking a distributor apart isn't exactly a small jump.
Cold start problems are usually coolant temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, and/or fuel pump related. Sometimes, the ignition switch goes bad and the ECU doesn't get the "Start" signal so instead of firing all of the injectors and pulling timing, all it sees is the engine spinning and treats it like it is just moving really really slow, and that can make it difficult to start, more so when it is cold (like cold weather cold)
So, unless what you're calling a cold start isn't the same thing that everyone is calling a cold start (difficulty starting when the engine is less than running temp) you have a little bit of explaining to do cause it doesn't make sense to pull the dizzy apart. When the dizzy goes bad (or the cam angle sensor rather) you'll either not be able to get it to start at all, or it will start and as soon as it gets some heat in it, it will stall out because that's when the sensor has too much resistance to function.

Thank you, love you, (no homo).
AAwww, Love you too buttercup.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 AM
.....taste the rainbow

I already started the book. I think my problem might be within the ECU itself. If a new ECU doesn't solve the problem, the book will be up.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
.....taste the rainbow

From the looks of it, my ECU was the problem. I'll know for sure when I hop in the car in the morning.