Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Excessice SR20DET blow by question

Old 09-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

140 is by no means good compression. You can get by for awhile if you dont beat on it too much and route that to a catch can.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Formerly IThaJokaI

Originally Posted by omgosh
140 is by no means good compression. You can get by for awhile if you dont beat on it too much and route that to a catch can.
Its not?

I told you either the rings were gone or the valve seals are gone, doesn't have to be a compression ring to leak.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:45 PM
S one 4

140psi is only 15psi less than stock spec. If you think that's bad comp you need to have your head checked...
Old 09-04-2011, 04:14 PM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by JDM Pollo.
wouldnt be the ring lands cause compression is bueno. and it isnt gushing, but it will leak out. like after a test run with boost a small puddle of oil is chilling on cyl 1 and 2 of the manifold
might not be the lands, but it could very well be the oil seals if that much oil is coming out.

Originally Posted by Jr_SS
Oil control rings are fuxored... You need new rings my friend
that's what I'm betting my money on.

Originally Posted by mewantkouki
Leakdown test > Compression test
can't really think of a time where this isn't true...

Originally Posted by JDM Pollo.
well, thats all he had available at the time. couldve just simply said "try a leakdown test".
but then you would have missed the bit about that mad tyte JDM breather.

Originally Posted by omgosh
I wouldn't go as far as to say it is bad compression, but for an SR it is alright. now 140 on a KA might be cause for concern.

Originally Posted by -Mike
Its not?
I told you either the rings were gone or the valve seals are gone, doesn't have to be a compression ring to leak.
I would lean more to the rings side. If it was valve seals, there would be smoke

Originally Posted by Jr_SS
140psi is only 15psi less than stock spec. If you think that's bad comp you need to have your head checked...
I don't know, last time I had my head checked, "they" said it was good, but to me, a 10% drop in compression isn't a good thing. It isn't a "OMG that's terrible" thing, but I sure wouldn't write home and tell momma about how great my compression is when it is 10% lower than stock.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:34 PM
will eat for more food

but when you put into consideration that the motor has over 50k miles lets say shit is going to be worn down a bit. just saying
I sell LED's for gauge clusters, side-markers, dome lights, map lights, license plate lights, corner lights, etc. Whatever you need, i have it all. Contact me for more info or pricing: (813)-516-3118.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:22 PM
(OO\____/OO)

50K with a proper break in should last, event event after event.

my bad SR? the comp numbers were 175, 170, 135, 180 (thottle closed). when i tore the motor down, the oil rings and lands were cracked and broken... just saying...

no proper break in, and improper maintainance will burn a motor up in 50K miles easy... hit 4-5 events (or a shit ton of daily driving abuse) on one oil change because "it hasn't hit 3000 miles yet" or whatever will kill a motor, starting with rings/lands...

Originally Posted by sean1
Shit'll buff out.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 PM
will eat for more food

Originally Posted by Blackzenki82
50K with a proper break in should last, event event after event.

my bad SR? the comp numbers were 175, 170, 135, 180 (thottle closed). when i tore the motor down, the oil rings and lands were cracked and broken... just saying...

no proper break in, and improper maintainance will burn a motor up in 50K miles easy... hit 4-5 events (or a shit ton of daily driving abuse) on one oil change because "it hasn't hit 3000 miles yet" or whatever will kill a motor, starting with rings/lands...
but your comp is way off, his is 140,140,145,150. no big dips or anything. did the test warm, and throttle plate open. i guess we will just keep searching and searcing till theres no choice but to tear the engine down, and see whats up down there. i will contact the seller and notify him about whats happening though. not to complain but to tell him whats going on since he wanted to know.
I sell LED's for gauge clusters, side-markers, dome lights, map lights, license plate lights, corner lights, etc. Whatever you need, i have it all. Contact me for more info or pricing: (813)-516-3118.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Formerly IThaJokaI

180 compression for a SR is higher than OEM spec...

Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 PM
(OO\____/OO)

oil was being pushed through the spark plug O ring, a bunch drained in when i pulled the plug.

Originally Posted by sean1
Shit'll buff out.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 AM
will eat for more food

Originally Posted by Blackzenki82
oil was being pushed through the spark plug O ring, a bunch drained in when i pulled the plug.
So that would be your valve cover gasket. Nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Quick Reply: Excessice SR20DET blow by question