Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

ka24de cylinder / piston disassembly help

Old 02-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I Want a Damn 240 Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ka24de cylinder / piston disassembly help

I'm in the process of tearing a part my ka24de. With the head removed and nothing but the oil pan remaining I want to get this stripped down to the skeleton basically.

I need to remove the pistons to clean them from the surface rust that's accumulated around the cylinder walls and on the piston itself. Also in the process I want to change the piston and oil rings.

My only problem is turning the crankshaft at the moment. I don't know if its because of the rust and buildup on the cylinder walls thats preventing the pistons from lifting when I try to turn the crankshaft pulley bolt.

Is there anything else I need to loosen up in order for it to turn ?

I'm trying to remove the torque converter and flywheel but in order to do that I need to turn the torque converter using the crankshaft bolt in order to get the 4 bolts behind the torque converter to get it detached from the flywheel.

It's just not turning what so ever. I've had the cylinders soaking in oil overnight for well over 15 hours +. Any ideas or suggestions ?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 AM
buildin' it

oil is probably too thick to get the job done.
I would have sprayed some pb blaster or something like that in there to handle the rust.
Is the timing assembly still in tact? could be a manor of the chain getting caught up and jammed.
have you tried turning it in both directions?
I had one engine that I couldn't get to turn for nothing. fiddled with all kinds of stuff, couldn't figure it out, when to take off the flywheel, didn't notice anything wrong, put it back together, and it turned nice and easy...
Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 AM
I Want a Damn 240 Coupe

Originally Posted by Empire
oil is probably too thick to get the job done.
I would have sprayed some pb blaster or something like that in there to handle the rust.
Is the timing assembly still in tact? could be a manor of the chain getting caught up and jammed.
have you tried turning it in both directions?
I had one engine that I couldn't get to turn for nothing. fiddled with all kinds of stuff, couldn't figure it out, when to take off the flywheel, didn't notice anything wrong, put it back together, and it turned nice and easy...
Yea I gotta pick up a can of that pb blaster and try it out. Other than that, the whole timing assembly is off. I'm probably going to drain out the oil and flip it over and get inside the oil pan and mess with the crankshaft. I wanted to loosen up the pistons so I could get the torque converter to turn. Still no luck. I need to get those off to put on the clutch and pressure plate along with the flywheel.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM
buildin' it

wait.
the engine is out of the bay... can't you reach all of the torque converter bolts?

Its been a while since I dealt with an auto, but I seem to recall, that once it is away from the tranny and the engine is out of the bay, then you can reach everything you need to reach with a combo of ratchets and wrenches.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:53 AM
I Want a Damn 240 Coupe

Its hard to reach the torque converter bolts because they are right between the flywheel and converter. But if you rotate it you can reach them 1 by 1 since the flywheel doesn't cover it completely at the bottom. I had to take off the brackets at the bottom covering that area, but cant reach the top ones. And in order to take the flywheel off, there are 6 bolts in the middle of the plate which are behind the torque converter.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Because race car…

Diesel fuel can sometimes work to un-stick a stuck motor. Just get a big ole brush to wash that stuff around the cylinders. <--- Old-school tech right there FTW...lol.

-Royce