Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

fuel pump?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Ride of the Month

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump?

ok so i have a walboro 255! who would've guessed! Well i'm pretty sure(positive) everything is correctly installed in my car. walboro has been in there for years, my Apex-i PFC says i have a fp issue, my fuel pressure drops to zero immediately when i turn off the car, and it has a delay to turn the car on!
I'm thinking i need a new fp, but should i go with something else?! i'm hearing alot lately Walboro sucks!
What do you guys think?
word on that... that f-ing gti-r was the shit and sounded mean too! and it was sittin on some hot ass volks
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/r...pril-rotm.html
Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 AM
buildin' it

don't know who you have been talking to that has been telling you that a Walboro pump would suck... for that style pump, and flow rate, I wouldn't use anything else since the vast majority of the pumps out there are cheap knock offs of the walboro...

It is possible that your pump is just wearing out since you said it has been "years" Considering the average person puts 12K on their car every month, 3 years is 36,000 miles. I'd say that it is ok for the pump to be wearing out.
With that, If your fuel pressure itself is fine while the engine is running/revving, then I doubt it is the pump itself. If it is just a matter of the fuel pressure dropping off too fast and taking too long to build back up, then I would lean more towards the fuel pressure regulator has taken a crap. Especially it if is a stock one...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Doesnt see what you did

Originally Posted by Empire
don't know who you have been talking to that has been telling you that a Walboro pump would suck... for that style pump, and flow rate, I wouldn't use anything else since the vast majority of the pumps out there are cheap knock offs of the walboro...

It is possible that your pump is just wearing out since you said it has been "years" Considering the average person puts 12K on their car every month, 3 years is 36,000 miles. I'd say that it is ok for the pump to be wearing out.
With that, If your fuel pressure itself is fine while the engine is running/revving, then I doubt it is the pump itself. If it is just a matter of the fuel pressure dropping off too fast and taking too long to build back up, then I would lean more towards the fuel pressure regulator has taken a crap. Especially it if is a stock one...

I've seen them not hold pressure and it bleeds down, causing hard starts, no its not OK for it to be "wearing out" and yes they are cheap, non high quality pumps, avoid acknowledging it if you want, but they dont last, theyre loud, they are just a cheap pump that will do the flow, thus why people use them a lot, nothing wrong with that I guess, just know that it's not going to last all that long.

Denso, or Bosch if you want something that isnt cheap and going to die in a couple years. Or a new skyline, Z32TT pump ? Havent done much research on those but i'd bet them to outlast walbro by at least 2:1
full on track cars can take a lot more liberties with shit than a street car. bell bottom kits and crazy wheel fitment look cool sliding on a track, but when i want to drive to taco bus, im going to ruin all of that shit. so it just doesnt work for me. function over fashion.
Originally Posted by osama tim laden
also, im about to blow my moderator status by deleteing all of davids posts
R.I.P. Tim

SR, RB, and LS1 into S13/14 harnesses converted.

SR 13/13- $120, 13/14 or 14/13 $180
RB $200
LS1 $250
Old 01-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Ride of the Month

stock z32tt, sounds like a good idea! and in the years i've had this pump i haven't driven 2k miles, so i probably corrated more than anything. is it a posibility for the fuel pressure regulator to be bad, Yes i would think the diaphram inside could be bad.
- thanks for your imput, i'll look into both areas
word on that... that f-ing gti-r was the shit and sounded mean too! and it was sittin on some hot ass volks
Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 PM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by Z28ricer
I've seen them not hold pressure and it bleeds down, causing hard starts, no its not OK for it to be "wearing out" and yes they are cheap, non high quality pumps, avoid acknowledging it if you want, but they dont last, theyre loud, they are just a cheap pump that will do the flow, thus why people use them a lot, nothing wrong with that I guess, just know that it's not going to last all that long.

Denso, or Bosch if you want something that isnt cheap and going to die in a couple years. Or a new skyline, Z32TT pump ? Havent done much research on those but i'd bet them to outlast walbro by at least 2:1
not tryin to argue, but I've had a brand new denso die in 8 months and I went through 4 bosch pumps in less than 6 months.
There is good and bad with all of them. Which I guess is true with just about anything.
I've personally always been impressed with Walboro pumps. I've put 30k plus miles on the one I had and the other cars that I've put them in have always lasted a considerable amount of time.

A TT pump would be way over kill since they flow like twice what a walboro does. an NA one should be more than enough. But don't quote me on that. I just know that when you do the TT swap in the 300zx's, if you use a walboro, you have to use two of them to keep up.
There is some funny wiring thing that you need to look into with the TT pump. It is my understanding that there is basically a low speed and a high speed.
But it would last a substantial amount of time. And you wouldn't ever have to worry about having enough fuel.

OP, if it has sat that long, then yeah, the pump is bad because of just sitting in that ethanol gas. Could have torn up the fuel pressure reg too.
What did you do to keep the water out of the tank? Ethanol absorbs and holds water, so it could the fuel could have just been watered down and that could be causing the problem, or maybe even what caused the damage. Just things to consider.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 AM
yea sweet lemonade

news flash, walbro's go bad. i went threw plenty of them. i would start with a new walbro with relay mod, and a new fuel filter. and if your car is a s13 make sure your tank doesn't have shit in it.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Ride of the Month

typical 240 guys taking shit's in there gas tanks lol! fuel filter, fpr, and tt fuel pump! my to do list!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:14 PM
yea sweet lemonade

hahahahha, walbro's arent that bad, but a oem pump meant for lots of power work good too. i had a supra tt pump in my mr2 and it worked great.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 PM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by gti-r93
typical 240 guys taking shit's in there gas tanks !
lmao
what a great mental image