Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

s13 lowering sping ?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:25 AM
AERODYNAMIC WHEN I FIGHT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s13 lowering sping ?

Okay first off, lowering springs are gey. I don't need anyone's 2 cents.
I was tired of looking at the 4x4 in my driveway so i got a set of megans for under 50. Ive have installed countless amounts of coilovers and spring shock set ups but I've never been the one to install the actual springs.

I got the spring compressor, compressed the old springs. Installed the new ones. But here is where I ran into a problem.

When installing the new springs, I fully released the spring and removed the spring compressors on each side but the spring wouldn't touch the top hat.
I tightened the top hat back on exactly how it was very very tight.It is about a 1/2 " from the top , I installed them anyways because I wanted to go to bed ( just the one, so I could come here for critique in the A.m.). I held the spring as close to in place as possible as I let the jack down and I guess its touching the top hat now under pressure.

Is this normal since the springs are lowering springs and 1/2 a coil is cut from them ?

Or did the guy I bought these off of sell me the wrong springs or do you have any possitive input that will help me out?

Old 08-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes/No

Theres no prob if they dont touch under pressure. Now the question do they look like they have been cut?? cause if they look cut then they are cut.

Prestige Worldwide ... Wide..Wide....

Old 08-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Fishes more than you

Megans touch under pressure. I have had them before.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:44 PM
AERODYNAMIC WHEN I FIGHT

I think they are touching now after a night of sitting on the spring. I just wanted to double check

Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 AM
buildin' it

when you take it apart, the strut expands all the way. Sometimes you can jut muscle it back, other times you can't. Sometimes it will go back down as soon as you put it back on the ground, other times you have to let it sit over night.
as far as the lowering spring part goes, yes, it will not touch the way the stock spring did until you can settle the strut to its not "at rest" position.
If you are inpatient and don't want to just let it sit and wait and see, get a bunch of your buddies over and load down the car as much as you can so you can basically get the car as low as possible, then unload. The springs will then push the strut up only as high as the spring is.
I'm sure there is a more scientific/technical way to do it, but I've never had problems with this method.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 AM
AERODYNAMIC WHEN I FIGHT

Thanks alot. I did the rears and it looks much much better.