Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Track Cat

Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Cat

Looks interesting "The Track Cat" Nissan 240sx S13 Rear Suspension System
Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 AM
speed cat

yea, would be cool to hear from some one that has it or drivin in one with it to see if its as hyped as it suppose to be.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 AM
FORE:sight

Thats a complete waste of money. And I dont think shocks count as "unsprung weight"

Looks neat though. RACEKOR!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow2
Thats a complete waste of money. And I dont think shocks count as "unsprung weight"

Looks neat though. RACEKOR!
Unfortunately your springs and most of your shocks are all unsprung weight. This set up is only going to be as good as its components, rod ends, springs and shocks, etc. they should list what they are using...

VIPStyleCars.com/Awesomely bad idea

Last edited by jtmroczk; 06-12-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:31 AM
I race sailboats

I'm confused as to how that reduces unsprung weight. Its moving the shocks inbound, which means adding pushrods. Wouldn't that actually increase the amount of unsprung weight?

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 AM

They look like rear shocks off of a sport bike. This set up dosnt do anything productive. All it does is shift the center of gravity in the rear of the car higher up. I dont see any other real benifits of it.

I consider unprung weight to be stuff outboard of your shock system. Like wheels, calipers, rotors, uprights. Its all weight that isnt directly conected to the shock but the shock has to support its weight. The shock is tied directly into the chassis which means its supported by the chassis. Thats like calling the subframe unprung weight.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:48 AM

if it moves with the suspension it moves with the shape of the road not the car and it is unsprung weight

the only parts of the shock that are sprung and move with the chassis are the top hats, rods and valving. even the spring's weight sits on the suspension arms and is unsprung weight in a tipical car but is moved to the chassis in this set up.

your sub frame is attached directly to the chassis, there are no dynamic forces between the two, its is most definitely sprung weight and would be considered one component with the chassis for any suspension calculations

Last edited by jtmroczk; 06-12-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:02 AM

I view the shock as one member, which is why I see unsprung weight as everything outboard of that member. I see your point though, buy splitting the shock into peices and counting only the top hat as a rigid peice everything past that becomes weight.

But even now the shock is still only tied into the chassis at one spot, so it could still be view as unprung weight since it still moves with the suspension and still has to support the suspensions movements and weight. Its just been moved up higher and been connected through a bell crank instead of tied directly into the upright.

Last edited by longfellow2; 06-12-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow2
But even now the shock is still only tied into the chassis at one spot, so it could still be view as unprung weight since it still moves with the suspension and still has to support the suspensions movements and weight. Its just been moved up higher and been connected through a bell crank instead of tied directly into the upright.
sounds like your thinking of an inverted shock, if so, then you are understanding. Its all about how things move relative to the chassis(with the exception for the springs since they are not directly attached but only sitting on the suspension). It's also best to imagine all movement as frictionless for simplicity, otherwise shits gets complicated.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:29 AM

Yeah it seems they flipped the shock around, so instead of the shock and lower mount (relative) being the moving parts, now the piston and connected mount are the moving parts.

But factory style shocks, the piston and upper mount (relative) are rigid to the chassis and the shock body and lower brack are moving parts.