Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

KA>SR Tranny conversion write up!!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 AM
(OO\____/OO)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KA>SR Tranny conversion write up!!

KA to SR transmission conversion by Mashall H. AKA Blackzenki82, this will be the first i write, many more write ups will come as i feel like typing a bunch of stiff out... on with the write up!

Broken SR tranny? too many misshifts on your mad tyte doriftos? something grinding your gears? OH NOES, time for a new SR tranny.... or is it?

SR trannys are getting quite expensive these days, upwards of $200.. what if you could use a KADE tranny on your SR that you could pick up for the cheaper price of around $75? would you do it?

here i'll give loose instructions on how to convert your cheap-o KA tranny, to replace your broken, or grinding SR tranny....

remove exhaust at your own discretion, i found it easier to remove just the down pipe and test pipe...

1. first, remove your drive shaft by unbolting the rear driveshaft from the differential, there'll be four 14mm bolts, remove those and move on to the center bushing and drive shaft loop. Unbolt the center bearing (17mm bolts), and the loop, and ease your drive shaft out, and out from under the car.

2. now you want to unbolt your tranny cross member, 17mm bolts as well... At this point, your tranny will drop, and your whole motor will rock back on the mounts. You should be able to access all 14mm bolts that hold your tranny to the block. before unbolting, remove your clutch slave my unbolting the two 14mm bolts and hang it to the side, then proceed to unbolt the 14mm bolts that hold your SR tranny to the motor. once all bolts are out, use a small pry bar and easy your tranny off the motor... be careful at this point as the transmission is very heavy, and will get away from you, i suggest using a floor jack to ease removal...

3. the tranny should now be out, and look like this...

at this point you need to remove your throwout bearing, and shift fork pictured here, and unbolt the 12mm bolts from the inner cover..

here comes the tricky part, you'll need some snap ring pliers and some C clip removal tools of your choice, as this is the hardest thing about this conversion... after you get the plate, all C and snap rings off, it should look like this....

4. you will at this point want to remove the 12mm bolts that hold the bell housing and gear box to the sandwhich plate. the small bolts should be on the gear box side of the sandwhich plate
kinda hard to see, but they're to the rear 12mm bolts...

5. now, you want to leave the gears in the gear box, ONLY REMOVE THE BELLHOUSING, NOT THE SANDWICH PLATE. you have to work it off, as it's on pretty good, i used small pry bars to pry it away... when removed, it should look like this....

now take your busted ass SR gear box and throw it in the leaves and shit...

6. at this point, you want to take the SR bell housing and put it on the KA gear box, use the KA sandwich plate as well, make sure you RTV both sides of the plate to reduce gear oil leakage, that shit smells, when finished, it should look like this...

after this, installation of the SR bellhousing is as simple as it was taking it off... just make sure NOT TO MOVE THE THREE GEAR SELECTORS... it will cause you not to have all your gears, once you complete the bell housing install, before anything else, make sure your tranny goes in all 6 gears, if it doesn't, you moved one of those rods, and need to remove the bellhousing and pull them out to be at the same height, which if i recall is all three fully extended... also, when putting the plate back over the input shaft, make sure to clean the mating surface and RTV it as gear oil will leak into the bellhousing if you don't...

finished product...

you can do something baller and paint that bitch, i chose florescent pink FTMFW!!!

FINITO!!!!!

*i've got all kinds of write ups like this from the MASSIVE amount of work, and documentation, of all the work i've done, restoring and upgrading my S14, let me know what else you may be interested in, and i've probably done it*

Originally Posted by sean1
Shit'll buff out.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Function is my form.

my kind of write up

Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
OG Join Date: 6-15-00

Half of the pictures I take of my car are like this:

1973 VW Squareback
1979 AMC Jeep Cherokee Chief

RIP Tim

Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 AM
(OO\____/OO)

same here pres, i got multiple finger pics.... I'm at least now to the point where i've either fixed or replaced all the finger worthy problems.... i've basically restored this car.... the guy i got it from, i dunno, musta just been a fucking idiot... nothing was finished, some things had one bolt when it required three... it went on and on... but at least now i got pretty much dialed in and close to finished...

Shit'll buff out.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Offset-----Less is MORE!!

nice write up!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
no

nice writeup, ka tranny hack ftw!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
lifelong learner

omg it's 2001 hehe
Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Nicolai

lol... more like 2002

PBM fender roller for rent!!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:59 AM
(OO\____/OO)

Originally Posted by Matt Vassallo
omg it's 2001 hehe
Originally Posted by robunicu
lol... more like 2002
may be kinda of old news for some people, but there's a lot of nOObs like myself (been in for almost a year), who hasn't owned their SR'd 240 since you guys were jamming out to 98 degrees and insync with your windows down in your 240s...

just trying to help, and i hadn't seen a write up like this anywhere on TR, there's one on NICO, but i figured TR should have it's own... with a bit of the special edition TR flare to it...

Shit'll buff out.

Last edited by Blackzenki82; 03-12-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Nicolai

just messing w u dude. any write up is better then no write up... i always take pics of everything i do and say ill do a write up but never have time to put it together. Im down for write up section on nissan tech... we need to set something up

PBM fender roller for rent!!