Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

SQR23DET engine? info and video

Old 10-13-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
so how's the SQR anyways? All this hype about it on the dyno and stuff......and of course no real-world report on if the engine has survived or blown up yet.

(of course, if it blew, we wouldn't hear about it anyways)

Are you kidding me? We've posted a ton of updates on all of the forums... including this one. I have nothing to hide.. if there was a problem, we'd let people know.

Travis
Old 10-13-2005, 04:13 PM
towards antisocial

Originally Posted by Epstein
Don't hate the bandwagon. I think that if people want a turbo car, they should buy a car that is capable of supporting it. Or, do it the hard way. Leave the whine in the cellar.

you know basically your missing my point. See, I read your posts and I know your point- SR > QR. I get it, I agree, enough already. All Im asking you to understand, and all I've been saying from the get-go is, there are plenty of people out there that want to reverse engineer and study the QR. If your not interested thats one thing. But your not supporting the community being negative like that.

* I edited this a bit.

Last edited by Blueboost; 10-13-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:44 PM
towards antisocial

Originally Posted by Matt Vassallo
Why, when you can have a KA make more power and torque anyway.. lol
still, you've got weak cylinder walls, with poor head flow compared to the QR. Your still looking at sleeving and building the block. Theres a much better comparison to be made between the KA and QR (as apposed to SR VS QR) engine though, as the QR is kind of the step child of the KA.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blueboost
still, you've got weak cylinder walls, with poor head flow compared to the QR. Your still looking at sleeving and building the block. Theres a much better comparison to be made between the KA and QR (as apposed to SR VS QR) engine though, as the QR is kind of the step child of the KA.
How does the KA have weak cylinder walls. Where is evidence of this ? If the QR25DE is such a great engine with such a extraordinary design , then why must one reverse engineer the hell out of it to get a decent performing engine. I don't mean to be harsh , but the QR25DE was never meant to be a performance powerhouse , just a peppy easy/cheap to manufacture chunk of crap they stick into new nissans for a good return profit.If it was me i'd just source out a QR20DE , probably a better bed to start off modifying then the QR25DE , since you are looking at loosing displacement with the SR crank (or a custom crankshaft with a smaller stroke anyway).
Old 10-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Chowdah-head

i guess no one in here is old school enough to remember Dr. Evil's (Bills') KA-T MONSTER that has 10 second time slips to its credit (the car, not bill, but not taking anything away from bill, i have no doubt he could have gotten an equal timeslip out of that car)
Old 10-13-2005, 06:56 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

Originally Posted by kayos
well.. i have yet to see the power of a KA.. all i get is the garbage KA's with no boltons to run.. i was trying to get some runs against the KA's at one of the previous track events for the "KA vs. QR Long stroke challenge" but got nothing. so i guess you can say what you want, but i'll believe it when i see it.
i'll be at trackday if you want to see what a pissed off truck motor does when you feed it 10psi and strap on the DRs
Old 10-13-2005, 07:20 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

Originally Posted by Blueboost
the KA's iron block allows it to have less material between cylinder walls, because iron > aluminum (not in weight though ). ive never seen a KA cylinder wall fail or crack, other than damages caused by fubar'ed pistons scratching it up, or dorks who use stock rods with forged pistons then shoot them through the walls on cylinder 1

the KA utilizes the same direct cam to shim/bucket activation as the CA head (and toyota/yamaha 3s-gte/4a-ge) motor does. springs and retainers (and cams that will breathe that high) will allow it to rev to 9k+. it just isnt done because you might as well get an SR or CA for those duties, KA people value their powerbands where they're at and dont stray too far (unless you're a built 300hp n/a SOHC KA24E running circuit events), and the KA bottom end isnt too keen on being stable past 7500rpm without a good balancing. the KA can flow quite well, most people think cams hold the motors back (and dual 248* cams or 256* cams work really well), but there's alot of gain to be had with utilizing short runner intake manifolds on KA motors...though its not for me, its mostly the guys going for peak HP numbers and trying to cram 30+psi of gt35r goodness into it.

overall i think the sqr23det gimmick is a neat idea, i just think its over engineered for its purposes...decent numbers at relatively low boost, but i'd rather turn to higher compression #'s and today's high tech engine management systems and good tuning on a built QR rather than all that work.

put it in a tube frame rwd setup, you wont!
Old 10-13-2005, 07:51 PM

You don't really have to reverse engineer the QR to make it a great motor.. A set of pistons and rods will allow you to make around 400whp/350wtq.. and rev to 7100 or so. The TQ curve is flat as a rock too.. When I drive a big HP QR25DE, I feel like I'm driving a small block powered camaro with a big cam. It comes onto boost instantly, and it's nasty. You would just have to drive one to understand what I mean. It's like a big turbo KA, but faster response and the transition from off to on boost is instant.

Driving the SQR on the street.. is insane.. With the clutch slipping, it pulls like a beast. It reminds me of J's Turbo RSX.. 8700rpm sounds so sweet.

Travis
Old 10-14-2005, 03:57 AM
Retired

Man, how'd we wind up here?

Travis, I think we all just want to know about any updates since the clutch smoking incident. Certainly if it makes 5-600hp, we want to know about as soon as possible. Just don't get the wrong idea because the person who asked for the update did so without any tact what so ever.

Dan, way to hold it down for the KA people.

Blueboost, what the hell? Where do you get off telling me that I'm not helping the Nissan community when you're complaining about how many "good" SR's are left and taking shots at the largest Nissan enthusiast group("bandwagon")? My KA will blow up just as fast as your QR. Don't confuse my acceptance of that with SR flag-waving. I have nothing against the QR or QR development. For FWD applications, I'd rather have the QR than any other 4-banger.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:06 AM

Cool.. I'll keep you guys informed on the progress.. we're having another clutch made for the car.. it'll be a few weeks before he gets it in and installs it.

Travis