Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Moving SR Clip

Old 03-18-2004, 02:32 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving SR Clip

I'll be off tommorrow night to Jarco to pick up my first Nissan motor purchase in the form sr20det redtop. I wanted to ask those who have done the install themselves using a complete clip a few questions.

I am going to be hauling this clip back by a 5x7 trailor and wanted to know, when you got it to your install location, how did you get it off your respective means of transport? Can you a engine hoist and just hoist it off...or did you have to get 4 adults and inch it off?

Also, I was told that once I get it off the trailor I should set it on 4 jack stands...my other question is with using a engine hoist(assuming that is a good means in which to hoist this huge thing)I've read that the way to hoist these particular motors is to find some strong bolts and bolt the chain to the head at a 45 degree angle. Is this the way to do it?

I've done my share of Honda/Acura swaps and I would just hook the chain to the transmission and the other around the distributor(carefully of course) and away I went. What is the safest means for this type of motor?

If the bolts are the way to go, can someone shoot me the size and thread pitch Thanks in advance.

TR Profile
Myspace Profile
Old 03-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Retired

2 furniture dollies are your friends. Mine was flatbedded to me on 2 dollies and it was really easy to move around. The clip might not fit on a 5x7. I want to say that my clip was almost exactly 5x7. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:11 PM

dang... i was lucky and the place i had our motors delivered was 2 mins from my house... i just had it flatbedded to my garage... and unloaded with ease... the 5x7 is not going to happen trust me man... we tried it and it was very dangerous.. i do not recommend that... afterwards however u get it to your working place... get it up on some stands or blocks... USE A REAL CHAIN... whooo we would have been minus mattback during my swap because of this crap practically twine chain... hehe but idk man just call up a flatbed to be safe...

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE FORSALE.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/3952387467.html

For sale: tool cart, air tools, welding stuff, sata jet RP digital spray gun + more
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/tls/3952277623.html
Old 03-18-2004, 07:21 PM
5 Foot Fury

Rented a U-Haul, came back to Tampa, used an engine hoist & two strong men to hoist the clip out of the U-haul truck, and disassembled it with Matt in his garage. When it was time to actually do the swap we transported the motor and tranny seperately. Like Jonas said, I don't think the 5x7 is going to work. Get a U-Haul truck. Whatever the medium sized one is. It wouldn't even fit in the small one because of how the fenders cupped upward inside the bed.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:20 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

I see...well the 5x7 is the size of the trailor, and it has removable rails...we were going to drop the clip on top of the rails or just remove the rails and strap it down with 3 tow straps...and it wont budge. I was just wondering how much it would hang over. I think this particular clip is 5 1/2 by 7. I might be able to just jump in the Rig and pick it up...but renting a Uhaul from here to GA, is going to cost too much $$$. Thanks for the advice thus far

TR Profile
Myspace Profile
Old 03-19-2004, 03:00 AM

we attempted to load the clip on one of my friend's lawnmowing towbeds which was pretty damn big... what ended up happening was the clip leaned against one of the rails and actally laying on the bed... bule the other side was on top of the rail ... so basically the clip was in a 40degree diagnal position... hehe didnt feel comfortable with that... maybe find a wider trailer?

For sale: tool cart, air tools, welding stuff, sata jet RP digital spray gun + more
Old 03-19-2004, 12:01 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Its cool...I've got a slew of 53ft rigs and trailors I can use now...its going to be here tommorrow one way or another. Thanks guys. Also, Jonas...you just used the hooks? I have a hoist and the chain which I used for my Acura Swap...but I dont remember seeing anything strong enough to hold the hook without breaking. What did you hook it to?

TR Profile
Myspace Profile
Old 03-19-2004, 08:27 PM

on the actual frame there are like holes that seemed strong enough to insert a thich bolt and nut... it really didnt seem safe... having the engine hoist lifting this whole damn clip... but yeah thats why i flatbed hehe

Old 03-20-2004, 05:09 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

You flatbed? You mean you brought it here by way of flatbed? I'm sure I'll get it off one way or another...its going to my job as of today on a semi, then I'll load it onto a small trailor by forklift. Then to my house, where I'll have to find a way to get it off the trailor, right onto 4 jackstands.

TR Profile
Myspace Profile