Help.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.

So, i need some advice with upgrading my stock '04 1.8s Sentra.
I figured this would be the appropriate place to take this discussion.
but i have a few questions
How much of a difference will a new Intake/exhaust system make?
Where can i find a lightly used manual transmission for my car?
But the most burning question of all is... Where should i start?

Last edited by coresoldier; 06-12-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I <3 usdm

If you want a performance car, get something that's not a sentra. k?

Originally Posted by whattadobo
People fucking suck, I'm selling my car and buying a treefort.
Originally Posted by osama tim laden
shit got all davided up.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 PM
.....taste the rainbow

FWD sr20de-t. Problem solved. Be nice David.....not!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by KRUKED
FWD sr20de-t. Problem solved. Be nice David.....not!
That sounds like a grand idea. Now i just need the engine. and some cash!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM
JDM cavaliers

Keep the sentra as a daily and build something on the side. "Upgrading" an economy car = ricer.Kruked, 04 would not have an sr. Some other normal engine I cbf looking up.

...and then I wondered why I was on Stanceworks forums...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by KendallH
Keep the sentra as a daily and build something on the side. "Upgrading" an economy car = ricer.Kruked, 04 would not have an sr. Some other normal engine I cbf looking up.
That actually makes sense. In that case, which car would you (or anyone else for that matter) recommend for a project car?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 PM
I <3 usdm

What are your goals?

Originally Posted by whattadobo
People fucking suck, I'm selling my car and buying a treefort.
Originally Posted by osama tim laden
shit got all davided up.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by coresoldier
That actually makes sense. In that case, which car would you (or anyone else for that matter) recommend for a project car?
240's are cheap and pretty easy to fix/work on. with a sr20det you have alot of room to upgrade and build with still keeping a budget since it is such an abundant motor, number one rule is do your research then do it again just to make certain. I'm not going to shove 240's down your throat saying they are the only car you should ever own because honestly they are not the best, but they are cheap, balanced, and reliable so whatever you do just keep those in mind.

Good luck.
1993 black s13 convertible (beach cruiser)
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 AM
buildin' it

So, i need some advice with upgrading my stock '04 1.8s Sentra.
I figured this would be the appropriate place to take this discussion.
but i have a few questions
How much of a difference will a new Intake/exhaust system make?
Where can i find a lightly used manual transmission for my car?
But the most burning question of all is... Where should i start?
First things first, decide if you truely LOVE the car. Build a sentra can be done. And has been done. We used to have a member on this site - RIP, we miss ya bud - that built a pretty nice, rather well performing b15.
The catch is, it isn't going to be as easy as building a honda, or a 240, or any of those really common cars because typically the kids that own sentras don't have the know how, understanding, nor the budget, to actually build a nice car. You'll find most of the sentra forums full of kids wondering what wheels look the best and trying to find cheap ways to keep their cars on the road.
with the 1.8, you're options for power are pretty limited, either an engine swap, or piecing together a turbo kit.
You can do things like intake, headers and exhaust, but don't expect a ton of results out of it. Maybe 5 with the intake, 10 with good headers, and maybe another 10 with exhaust. The engine just wasn't made for performance. However, if you throw enough money, and knowledge at it, you can make good power with a proper turbo kit. It just isn't going to be as easy as say, boosting a 240sx would be. In the 240 world, you can pretty much google the recipe on how to make power. But with sentras, you're going to have to educate yourself on how engines work, and how they actually make power and all of that "lost art/black magic" of engine building that so few have today. If you love the car, it could be worth it. You'll learn more and could end up with a decent car when it is all said and done. But, it will take a ton of time, and a ton of money.
the other option is to swap in a difference engine. Some people will go for the 2.5 liter (QR25DE) found in the SE-r's and spec Vs. They are decently capable, and it does give you more displacement to play with, but is again, going to take a lot of work to build one up nicely. Around here, the preferred option would be the 2.0 liter, (SR20DE) as the sr20 is a much more commonly known engine. You could more than likely swap the engine, bolt on some turbo parts and make more power with a more conservative build.
Beyond that, I would focus on suspension and drivetrain. The spec v came with a helical LSD, and a 6 speed transmission, and pretty decent suspension set up. All of which would be a huge improvement over your car.
SR20DE(T), conservative build, 6 speed tranny, helical LSD, upgraded suspension, cosmetic improvements, decent wheels, upgraded interior, decent sound system, and you'd have a pretty decent car.
again, if you have the time and money for it.

Depends,
- What goals do you have? - you just wanting a car to work on to learn about cars and performance? Or you wanting to build a super fast drag car? A sweet ride to go cruising around in? A car to set economy records? a peppy daily driver? The biggest bang for the smallest buck? If you aren't picking a car because you simply love that car, then you need to put a lot of thought into what you are actually setting out to accomplish.
- What kind of budget are you working with? Do you have a stack of cash right now? Are you broke as a joke right now? Do you have the kind of income that you can put towards a car over the next 6 months? 12 months? 18 months?
- What kind of car requirements do you have? import, domestic, fwd, rwd, common, rare, different, new, old, modern, classic, etc.

Nothing sucks worse than trying to build a car and not knowing what you actually want. You end up wasting a ton of time, and a time of money and since you don't have any passion for what you are doing, instead of going out and educating yourself, you'll end up listening to anyone who has an opinion, and not even know if they know what they are talking about, and you can end up with a broken pile of parts. I'd rather light my cigars using 100 dollar bills instead of building a car with no plan, or even goals. At least then, I'd be enjoying throwing money away.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 AM
no

I've seen a qg18de-t in person. There's nothing wrong with putting a turbo on that car. Not everyone wants to drift. There is a huge fwd turbo nissan community.

OP: lurk on
B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum
allsentra.com-A Nissan Sentra Forum/Sentra Se-r Forum/Sentra Spec-V Forum. All Sentra's(B13,B14,B15,B16 and B17 welcome reguardless of motor or typePortal
B15U.com -A Nissan Sentra Forum

dont blame shift and make this about me. this is time you could be applying online to be a bagger at publix.