Powered By Ford

Old 06-12-2012, 05:33 PM
(OO\____/OO)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powered By Ford

So yeah, a couple things to get out of the way... YES, this a ford engine, NO, I don't care how much better you think a LSx is. NO, this is not going to be "bawlah" build, it's going to be a budget oriented "every man build".

Figured it was time to go ahead and do one of my in depth build threads again like I used to do, being that there's something actually kind of cool/unique being built here.

So, onward shall we?

I went and got me a fancy S14 shell, figured I needed to do something neat with it...

Here it is...

Engine bay is completely wire brushed to bare metal, and cleared over to keep the rust away. I'm going to tub the wheel wells, and call it a day in there.

Current paint sucks, the rainbow flake sucks, the clear sucks, and since I'm going to be driving the living shit out of this car, I've decided to sand her down somewhat smooth, the wrap the entire car in vinyl, at least that way, when I hit shit, my Origin body stuff wont explode into 5.6 million peices, it'll hold it's shape, and look better than some zip tied fiberglass frankenstien BS. Color is TBD.

Interior is pretty straight forward, and spartan.

front end fit like shit, not due to Origin's quality, but due to the previous owners half assery, so I took some time to get everything lined up the way it should be, lot of FG trimming and sanding. I'm still not done, but got the majority of the front end lined up half way decent.

What it looked like before, as a point of reference for you guys...

I took the chassis harness, and brought it down to bare essentials... pile on the right is the leftovers...

Stripped down the steering column, lost all switches, so I made my own panel. Still needs a tad bit of work, maybe another couple of switches, but whatever.

I just picked up some Driftworks lower control arms, they should go well with my PBM inners w/rack spacers, SPL outers, and modded knuckles.

so yeah, pretty cool as far as the shell goes... now, lets get to the part that I'm sure you guys are like "what the fuck?" about, the powerplant.

My choice of engine is the quad cam, all aluminum 32 valve 4.6L Lincoln MKVII engine, or three..

... basic run down? I have two different engines, both MKVIII's, one is an earlier model, rated at 280hp, and 285tq, which will be used as a test mule/mock up engine. The jewel is the 1998 InTech, or Teksid block engine, rated at 290hp, 295tq in stock form. These motors are basically a detuned Cobra engine, but all aluminum, VS cast iorn. The pretty much the only difference between these, and the N/A cobra motors, are the intake plenums. Since the non InTech engine is going to be a mock up dealy, I'm building the 1998 Teksid for superchargationz. Basically utilizing the stock SC set up from a 03-04 cobra, crank, pistons, and rods, all of which can be had for pennies on the dollar, and are stable to 600+whp. Now, you might be saying "Look at the size of that thing!!", well, I get that a lot, but in reference to the engines, yes, they are wide, yes, there will be clearance issues, and no, they're not that effing big... a DOHC is actually proportionately smaller than a VH45, AND only weighs roughly 50-60lbs than a KA24DE.

Onward... In my trip to go pick these motors up, I took the other non InTech motor that was in the better shape of the two, and traded my friend for a 01+ Mustang GT 5spd trans with some cash on top, which helped with the initial cost of the motors, and I got the trans I need out of the deal. It's a Tremec 3650 5spd, good for some repectable power numbers. I also scooped up some 4.5" Ranlet Blast pipes/muffler, and some Driftworks front lower control arms..

checked the trans/engine fitment (just to make sure you know), and everything was spot on.

Got home at around 5am, unloaded car shit, and hit the sack.

Next up will be a OEM twin plate cobra clutch, and lightened flywheel, once I get everything mated up proper, I can drop the motor in the hole, set it where I want it and start fabbing up some motor/trans mounts.

Originally Posted by sean1
Shit'll buff out.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM
S one 4

This should be interesting... I'll be watching... and most likely commenting. Let the circus begin!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 PM
(OO\____/OO)

^HA!

To respond to what you said out there, I know the shortcomings of the 3650, hell, the one I have grinds 2nd, and the pivot ball is boogered. For $75, It's good as a mock up trans, with the older mock up engine to get this thing in the hole, and doing burnouts till it finishes it's self off, or the motor pops on some bank somewhere....

Been eyeballing a T56 from a wadded up 03 cobra with 78K one it... Don't think I can pick it up now, but later on, when the teksid motor is finished, I may just pull the trigger.

Shit'll buff out.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM
S one 4

My buddy is selling an SC, I'll let you know $$$ if you want.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:16 PM

If I could get rid of the damn LSx motor I have sitting on my stand, I would love to run one of these motors instead in my z31
Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 PM
(OO\____/OO)

Originally Posted by Jr_SS
My buddy is selling an SC, I'll let you know $$$ if you want.
yuhhh... I got a line on a Eaton M112 for $300, BNIB as a warranty return. but I'd much rather try to land a complete set up.

Originally Posted by Cameron Harris
If I could get rid of the damn LSx motor I have sitting on my stand, I would love to run one of these motors instead in my z31
but dude, LSx's are the shit, everyone's doing them!

Shit'll buff out.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 PM
(OO\____/OO)

Got the InTech pulled down, and cleaned up a bit. I pulled a valve cover to check the heads, not bad at all, no sludge, minor carmelization nothing notable. The regular engine is still in the corner, like a neglected child. These are some fairly large engines for such small displacement....

Before...

After...

Shit'll buff out.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 PM
.....taste the rainbow

Originally Posted by Blackzenki82
It's the new sr... I presume that you'll be doing away w/ the emission bullshtuff?.?. will it be as simple as doing away w/ an s-chassis's?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM
.....taste the rainbow

Originally Posted by Blackzenki82
It's the new sr... I presume that you'll be doing away w/ the emission bullshtuff?.?. will it be as simple as doing away w/ an s-chassis's?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:13 AM

yea true, but the thing that draws me to the ford quad cam engines and hell the single cam engines is that unique beautiful tone they throw out!!!

If I can ever get rid of it, I will be going ford instead just because they can make decent power and are music to my ears!!

Quick Reply: Powered By Ford