Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car looks awesome and work faster so we can see updates lol
Old 03-16-2011, 06:46 AM
buildin' it

ooh ooh ohh

I have an idea!!!

ITB's!!!

Might actually solve some of your mounting, location, plumbing problems.

Use the top half of the manifold. take a dremel to it to get rid of the bumps and what not. Use the downward curve to mount the ITBs so they point pretty much downward, then mount the supercharger just below it. Make a custom crank pulley to power it. and then all you would have to do is make a plenum that goes from the SC to the ITB's.

Unless you think you're gonna need an intercooler or after cooler or whatever they are called with superchargers.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Because race car…

ITBs would be cool, but I do want an intercooler. From what I've read superchargers are nothing more than heatpumps when pushed hard. Here are some pix of the inspiration for my plans. This is a Lotus set up...the manifold is going to be custom. The key to the set up is a short runner intake that splits air from the supercharger to the intercooler. The difference with the one I imagine is the intercooler will be top mount (short pipes) to keep the no lag supercharge goodness...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]150212[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]150213[/ATTACH]
Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Because race car…

[ATTACH=CONFIG]150299[/ATTACH]

Its not this kit...but I plan to use a similar design for the intake. There are several build thread for this kit on Lotus Exiges and boy to I feel bad for those guys. No room what so ever to work and the over all fit of the kit is not that good. By comparison, the 240sx has a ton of room.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
buildin' it

how does that particular supercharger work? as in, where does it pull air in and where does it push it out?

You're right about them becoming a heat pump. It'd be no different than running a turbo with no intercooler.

I'm actually kind of picturing a bit of a V mount type set up. The tanks for the intercooler would have to be on the top and bottom. It wouldn't be a true "top" mount, but it would have much shorter piping than a front mount. I'll have to doodle it up so it makes sense. But the idea would be that the air goes from the SC to the intercooler at the bottom, then up and out the top of the intercooler right into the throttle body. That way you could run a nice big intercooler and have all of the room you would want for anything else. (think rx7 style)

I think the throttle response of ITBs would be baller has shit mixed with the "insta-boost" of a super charger. It'd add a pretty good chunk of money to your build, but it would still be pretty sweet.
I'm curious to see just how much that supercharger is going to slow down your revs. The ITB's would be a big help with that. Gotta have a nice header. Lightweight everything.
Have you been able to figure out what size pulleys you're going to need to drive that thing? Are you going to be able to make boost at idle? is it going to boost 8 pounds at idle, or is it going to raise in boost to get to 8 pounds? if that is the case, then at what RPM will it make full boost?
I'm assuming there will be a wastegate to regulate it?
planning a BOV? I know a lot of supercharge guys don't use them. I guess the idea is that the dropping RPMS will slow the supercharger down, which would lower the boost level significantly in between shifts.
I'd suggest looking into one of the fluidamper harmonic balancers (check out the jegs.com website to see what I'm talking about) just to help keep the added vibration and stresses under control.

I'm pretty excited about it man. You planning on keeping the A/c and power steering and all of that right? It'll be interesting to see just how you get it all laid. There is some space to work with, but not a ton.

Something to think about when trying to figure out the spacing part of it, is that since it is forced induction, you don't really need long intake runners. So you could get away with a manifold just long enough to stick throttle bodies on. That would free up a lot of space.

Is there the hood clearance to run a true top mount?

You could almost make a custom bracket for your a/c compressor to go on the passenger side, and then stick the SC over there, and just make a heat shield to keep the exhaust heat from getting to it (I'm assuming the headers will be wrapped anyway) that would make the tubing pretty simple to run a front mount intercooler then. Heat is going to be the same kind of problem as it is with a turbo. Maybe even more of a problem because a turbo doesn't spool up all of the time. If you're just cruising, you might only make a couple of pounds of boost. But with a supercharger, if you're making 8 pounds at 3,500 rpms, it is 8 pounds whether you are at WOT or at 15% throttle. compressing air makes heat. So cooling might just be a bigger issue.
What are the dimensions of the supercharger? I have some idea's I want to see if it will work so I can bounce them off of you.
Unless of course you know exactly how you are going to do it already.

sorry if that rambled too much. I just kinda typed crap as I thought about it over the last couple of hours. lol
Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Because race car…

Funny you should mention RX-7...i have an RX-7 intercooler already to go...lol. The supercharger has an internal bypass valve that vents the boost back into the supercharger...so the pressure isnt lost within the system.

The model supercharger I'm using also has passages for water to pass though it to help keep its temp down...the intercooler will help with the rest, though I'm sure i'll need to switch to a larger on fairly quickly or even air-water type. With a custom intake having shorter runners I should gain some much needed room for the top mount.

I'm thinking a minimum of 370cc SR injectors...a Q45 throttle body...I'm already running a short ram on the car...my throttle response is very good. If you google Lotus Exige motor, just picure the same set up with the intercooler laying flat next to the Cylinder head. I'm up in the air on tuning tho...I have a PM out to Martin Thinking of RS-Enthalpy or Nistune.

-Royce

Last edited by rhart; 03-18-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
buildin' it

awesome man, keep the info coming.
I'll get back on here in a hot bit and post some more thoughts. actually gotta get some work done now that it is almost time to leave. lol.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Because race car…

Also to answer a few of your questions Empire. The standard pulley gives 10lbs @ boost...Its a m62 eaton...but not the one on the Xterra, its off a GM where the intake manifold has water passages plumbed to it. The Xterra's does not have this provision. The bypass valve is vacuum actived and closes up @ WOT. The more vacuum the more open the bypass is, WOT should be zero vacuum, so its closed up to achieve 10lbs. The plan is to make a braket that will include a idler pulley drop the alternator down to clear the supercharger. PS & AC will stat where their @ now. I'm running a cheap 4-2-1 header right now that does a decent job of getting the gasses out, but could be better...could go long tube 4 - 1 type.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:03 AM
buildin' it

how's it coming?

any more details on the design/set up?

I started a little sketch on my desk at work. (yes, on my desk. that's what they get for not ordering office supplies)
but got distracted with my Z stuff and attempting to learn an auto cad program so I can get actual working models of my ideas.