Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Axle/trans problem

Old 03-25-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle/trans problem

Alright, I know its next to impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet..but here goes..

Car is a 95 GST w/MT. For awhile now it has made the occasional clunking/popping noise from the front left wheel (near the hub it sounded like) when the wheel was cut all the way to one side and I first let the clutch out in reverse.

It's started getting really bad now, and makes more of a clunking sound when I first let the clutch out in any gear (depends how hard I let out the clutch and how much gas I'm giving it, usually more gas = less clunk, and it does it most often starting off in first and switching to second) and when I let off the gas it clunks again. It will also clunk up a storm when I'm cruising slowly in first or second, and hit a bump/speedbump causing the motor to buck a bit. This part of the noise seems to be coming from the inside of the D/S axle where it plugs into the transmission. I've replaced the drivers side axle and it did not fix anything, maybe even made it worse.

I jacked the car up, and when you rotate one wheel by hand there is significant play (1/4" - 1/2")before it the other wheel starts rotating. What could cause that?

Also, someone told me this might be because the trans is low on fluid/incorrect fluid? I'll check this tomorrow..any thoughts? Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

TL;DR : Loud clunking noise when load changes on drivers side axle, pops when in reverse with wheel cut. Replaced axle to no avail. Help!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 AM
OG MUDBONE 240sx

motor mounts?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doctor D
motor mounts?

Bingo
Old 03-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Throwback

Driving with bad mounts for a prolonged period of time can ruin the front diff...
Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Skip
Driving with bad mounts for a prolonged period of time can ruin the front diff...
Hm. One of them did blow up awhile ago...the drivers side mount was shot so I window welded it. The rest of the mounts do feel kinda soggy though... I guess thats next on the list. Is the diff something I can replace or repair? Or am I looking at replacing the transmission if its shot?

also...how bout these ??
eBay Motors: PROTHANE MOTOR MOUNT INSERTS ECLIPSE DSM 4G63 95-99 RED (item 200209118562 end time Mar-29-08 09:53:42 PDT)
Old 03-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doctor D
motor mounts?
Just got under it again... all my mounts are tightened down andhave no cracks or anything..

I had a loose bolt on the drivers shock mount but I doubt thats it. Gonna go flush the trans and report back..

EDIT: Topped off the trans and now it sounds more like when I had a broken motor mount...thanks guys.

any more input on the differential? thanks..

Last edited by omgosh; 03-26-2008 at 04:33 PM.