Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

GST Wiring

Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GST Wiring

I have a '95 GST, and after a small problem involving electricity led to a big problem involving fire, my fusebox melted and custom Rhino-Lined everything underneath it. But that's not my problem.

Here's my problem:

My friend got me a complete wiring harness out of a 2g GST. I cut out the old fuse box about a foot into the wiring harness (just after the first "branch-off"). I then stripped all the wires back a half a centimeter. Then I took the new fuse box, cut the wire in the same spot I cut the old wiring harness, and started crimping wires together (matching color to color, of course). Well now, I'm down to 5 wires. There are three red wires with a metallic blue stripe that are about 14ga wide, and I see the corresponding wires coming from the old wiring harness, so that shouldn't be a problem.

What IS the problem, is that I also have a 12ga red wire with a black stripe that has no "match" coming from the old wiring harness. Anyone know what this red and black wire is for? It's the fattest "red with a black stripe" wire in the whole group of wires coming from the fusebox.

I also have a green wire with a white stripe, about 16-18ga, that has no match on the "old harness" side.

Anyone have any idea what to do? My first guess was that the wiring harness was from a late model GST, but I don't know any way to check if that's the case.

Also, if anyone knows where I can find an electrical schematic online, that would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Banned

Update: I took apart the new fuse box, and I see that the thick red wire goes to the ABS fuse. I don't have ABS. The other wires, if I saw correctly, went to the A/C fuse. Long story short...I think I'm okay. But I'll keep y'all updated.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 PM
BoostAddict

My car was idling rough (like the way you're describing it, dropping it into neutral while cruising to a stop, etc.)...I was also having hard start issues. Found out that my positive connection on my battery terminal was really loose. Apparently, whoever the last monkey working on my car was, left the fucking thing loose.

It was so loose that it was almost off. This was causing my car to run rough at times, and cause my hard start issues, cause the freaking voltage was literally having to jump from one connection to another. Needless to say, the top part of the battery plastic, (where the positive wiring lays on the battery) was actually melted through some.

I basically tightened down the connection and the car runs much smoother now, and no more hard start issues.