Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Problem with axles, need help please

Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with axles, need help please

Well from other people telling me I think I have a bad outer CV joint. Whenever I turn the wheel all the way, especially on bumps, it makes a fairly loud pop sound. Also I have been told to replace the whole axle while I am at it. I would like your comments before I make a decsion. I am also not sure if I can do this install on my own, so if it is difficult the install does anybody know any good shops that can do it, and for how much?

Thanks
Farzad
Old 03-17-2005, 01:57 PM
previously SLOWBOOST

Yes that is the cv, and replacing the whole unit is easier, with a jack, and some tools you can do it your self, just make sure you have a socket big enough for the axle nut, you can remove the strut from the hub, or you can drop the lower a-arm and take off the tie rod so you can manuver the axle out and in.

FOR A WOUNDED MAN SHALL SAY TO HIS ASSAILANT
'IF I LIVE, I WILL KILL YOU. IF I DIE, YOU ARE FORGIVEN'
SUCH IS THE RULE OF HONOUR.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:24 PM
It's Alive!!!!!

Yes that is the cv, and replacing the whole unit is easier, with a jack, and some tools you can do it your self, just make sure you have a socket big enough for the axle nut, you can remove the strut from the hub, or you can drop the lower a-arm and take off the tie rod so you can manuver the axle out and in.
+1 on dropping the lower a-arm. You don't have to take out the strut or shocks. Actually you just need to loosen one bolt on the a-arm. Then get a hanger and wrap it around the rotor and somewhere on the strut so it won't be hanging down. You should be able to take out the axle from there.

Once you complete that double check the axle and see if the end of it is chiped. If so then you have to replace to axle.

I hope this helps...
Old 03-17-2005, 02:26 PM
previously SLOWBOOST

I didnt say take it out, take the bolts off the hub so you can swing it out without dropping the a-arm because alot of times the balljoint will not come out easily.

FOR A WOUNDED MAN SHALL SAY TO HIS ASSAILANT
'IF I LIVE, I WILL KILL YOU. IF I DIE, YOU ARE FORGIVEN'
SUCH IS THE RULE OF HONOUR.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:16 PM
It's Alive!!!!!

I didnt say take it out, take the bolts off the hub so you can swing it out without dropping the a-arm because alot of times the balljoint will not come out easily.
Sorry if you missed understood me... I was just reiterating what you said and specifing what he had to do.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:59 PM

I agree as well. I replaced mine from driveshaftshop.com. I highly recomend them, they were very nice and helpful and shipped overnight. Replacing the axel is fairly easy i would say anyone familiar with the suspension can tackle this. I have never tried exactly what was specified above, I take the complete supspension a part becuase I hate having it all in my way. This takes more time but for me it makes putting the axel back in easier.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:32 PM

Thank you all for your help, is there any write-ups w/ pics that show what to do? I have installed my springs/shocks on my own so I might be able to do this. Also how much would a shop charge to do this or if anybody here would be kind enough to do help me out?