Mazda Tech If your Mazda is a brap brap,or a zoom zoom, then this is your place.

My RX-8 experience

Old 08-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Jink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My RX-8 experience

So for a boredom cure yesterday we dropped by the dealership where I bought my MP5 to see if any RX-8s were in. They were. "What color bow ya want on it?" the salesman said. We walked over to check them out. Still love em! The guy started his sales pitch. 4 door sports car, 247hp, 0-60 in 5.9sec, 1/4 mile in 14.2, 20 city, 27 highway, bose audio, etc. etc. I knew it all. He was clearly a fanatic. "So what color bow did you get?" I asked with a smirk. "Actually I had my whole hour long presentation planned for the wife. I had all the safety features plotted and everything only to get shot down."

He continued on with what I already knew so I drifted off in the curves of the car. I was abruptly brought back with the line "So... wanna take her for a test drive?" FUCK YEAH!

He got the keys and prior to entry told a quick story. "I raced a brand new Vette in this the other day and killed it. I also took it over the bridge at 150. It might have been faster but that's as high as the speedometer goes. And I still had 6th to shift into."
Good story!

He took pilot at first and drove down a street that demonstrated the cars handling. Superb. Then he floored it to demonstrate the speed. Sweet. The ride was smooth. Then he pulled into a parking lot to switch. It was my turn.

I silently hoped I would be dissappointed so the desire for one would die. But to no avail. I buckled in. I adjusted everything, I'm short. I put it in gear. I waited to turn into traffic. He said, "Don't be afraid to give her some gas."
"How much gas?"
"As much as you want."
A dealer who knows.

There was a break in traffic. I pulled out and gave it a quick punch. It responded impressively. I turned down the next street. The open road was blocked by a Benz. "Come on Beamer. You ain't got NOTHING on this" the dealer said. I like this guy. The Benz turned. The road was clear. "Have at it." he said.

I floored it. I could his head jerk back. Before I knew it we were going 80. It's quick. It has great handling. It's sleek. It's smooth. It's like a magnetic force draws the car to the road. It's a beautiful thing. I was in love.

The shifting was quick and precise. The system was loud and clear. The seats were comfortable and supportive. It chirped in second. It chirped in third. And I wasn't giving it all it's got. I wanted it.

The drive didn't last as long as I'd like. Then again, any temporary drive regardless of length would have been too short. This is my future car. The hubby wanted a spin too. He loves it as well. And no there aren't any 2 for 1 deals. I asked.

I did find out there will be a turbo version within the next two years but it will be an added option. So those of you waiting for it can have it added if you get one now. Russell Mazda in Clearwater has an RX8 strictly for demo. SO if you want to test it out, that's the place to go. I was shocked. I'm in love. I'll get eventually. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by MP5Girl; 08-18-2003 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:38 PM

Sounds like u had fun! hrmm......maybe it's time for me to test drive the rx8, it looks really awsome plus it's got a rotary; you can't go wrong.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:43 PM
just blaze...

Wow you have some really nice comosition/english skills. That kept me intrigued during the entire story. I want to test that car out, it seems like its fun to drive !

Old 08-19-2003, 03:33 AM
Jink

Wow you have some really nice comosition/english skills.
LOL Thank you!!!

I gotta tell you, this car is mindblowing. A 1.3 liter Vette eater is pretty damn impressive. Granted I'm sure is was base but still! There ain't nothing slow about this car and of course it looks nice and packed with safety features. You guys have gotta try it. It's like a field trip!

Anyone wanna total my car for me??? I wish I was in a position to buy!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:37 PM

Car runs mid - low 14's at best and cant touch any current year vette in a straight line, nice review though

Last edited by Charles; 08-19-2003 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:16 AM
Jink

OK so maybe he exaggerated. A base vette ain't all that either. The RX8 runs a 14.2 and the vette a 13.2. But if you look at the comparison it's still highly impressive. Maybe the vette owner was mildly retarded, overweight with his fat buddy next to him, driving a base stock vette that they had to squeeze into with an auto tranny that's begging for some maintenance. Who knows. Call me crazy but I believe him. Don't burst my bubble!!

Last edited by MP5Girl; 08-20-2003 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:59 AM
Hello

Very nice write up. Glad that you loved the car.

My personal opinion is not as good as yours. I'm still stuck on an TurboII.
14.2 and 13.2 is a world of difference. When you are getting down into fast times every .1 of a second is a big difference. So you cannot really call thoes times comparable.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Jink

I realize a second is a world of a difference however I wasn't calling the times comparable I was referring to the cars themselves. The engines. The horsepower. The torque. The weight. The price. A car at that price with those times is impressive for the engine size. Would you rather spend $45 on a 13s car or $30 on a 14s car. I think most of us would agree on the 14s car. You can do alot with 15 grand. And with the turbo coming out in two years it'll smoke the competition.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:22 AM
S1's MUSCLE RELAXER

liar
Old 08-20-2003, 09:23 AM
Jink

Eat me