Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

OIL

Old 09-08-2002, 03:09 PM
B16ACRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL

Is synthetic bad for your car since its thinner?
Old 09-08-2002, 04:49 PM

How is it thinner?

Consider that synthetic oil is made for engines, wheras petroleum oil isn't made for anything, it's a byproduct. We refine it for our uses, but have to add a lot of things to it to make it keep from ruining our engines.

My understanding is that synthetic oil will actually clean out the engine, which regular oil does the opposite, over time it cruds it up. When a seal gets a crack, the crud makes a seal, and you don't notice the crack. Synthetic oil may clean away that crud, exposing an oil leak.

Synthetic oil protects the seals, but a broken seal is a broken seal.

Synthetic oil has better properties relating to heat and breakdown. Consider that synthetic oil is uniform, whereas petroleum oil is not. The smaller molecules of oil will burn off before the larger ones, leaving them behind, which forms crud. Synthetic oil burns off evenly if at all.

I suggest reading the info at www.amsoil.com. There is a lot of info on oil in general, though of course, they are trying to sell a product. If I were to use a synthetic, after reading some research, I would, however use amsoil. It seems to be a good product, with many years of experience backing it.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:08 PM

What items, please give examples, or any kind of information that shows that synthetic oils are inferior to petroleum oils. Any situation.

Aside from the case of pre-existing seal cracks, I can't think of any reason I wouldn't use synthetic in any car.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:40 PM

You should read that second link...there's nothing in there saying synthetic oil is bad, in fact, everything there points to synthetic oil as being far superior.

Look at Amsoil's webpage. They sponsor different types of racing. Why would they use the oil in drag cars, snomobiles, offroad vehicles, monster trucks, etc, if it's going to HURT their engine?

So far, one page by that company says they don't recommend it, but why? Choosing the right oil is important...whether synthetic or not. Not all synthetics are equal, perhaps the ones they have tried are just inferior.

As far as cost is concerned, you'd put $1/qt oil in your engine, just because the better oil costs $6/qt? Kinda cheap when you consider the amount of time and money you put into the rest of the engine. Oil protects it, get the best protection available.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:12 PM
Skittle on crack!

I do not believe he said it was bad, BUT I will say it IS NOT BAD.

Cost VS. Performance is where it lacks.

AT over 4 bucks a quart, it isnt really worth the benefits.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:52 PM

cali, how much is your engine worth?

140,000 miles on my Mazda. If the oil was changed every 3,000 miles as claimed, he changed the oil about 45 times.

Regular oil- $1/qt x 5 qts. every 3,000 miles. $5/filter every 3,000 miles.

Synthetic oil- $5/qt x 5 qts. every 25,000 miles. $10 filter every 12,500 miles.

Regular - 46 oil changes $233 in oil. $233 in filters. 233 quarts of oil.
Synthetic- 5.6 oil changes $140 in oil. $112 in filters. 28 quarts of oil.

Total : Regular $466 Synthetic $252

Even if you double the interval of synthetic, and change oil and filter at 12,500 miles, it's cheaper at $392.

Which is cheaper again? And which is better for the environment, when you consider how much used oil we're disposing of? Even if you change the oil every 12,500 miles because of hard driving conditions, it's still cheaper, better for the environment, and it gets done much less often.

So the oil is superior, the filters are superior, and the cost is actually LESS over time. And yet you'd argue that synthetics aren't worth their cost?

If there is a problem with my numbers...if you think they're off, just say so. I'm open to other calculations, but I think mine are quite reasonable.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Wherever I may roam...

you would actually drive 25,000 miles between oil changes?
Old 09-08-2002, 09:01 PM

Yes, why not?