Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Have you ever had this problem?

Old 08-28-2002, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever had this problem?

What's up people? I just had a question for you all. I have a 89 CRX Si. It has a 92 tegra B18A1. But what my question is.............. About once a month it does't want to start. I go to a gas station or the store, turn off my car. And when I'm ready to leave. It just turns over but doesn't start. Now i've had 3 engines in this car and had the same problem with all of them. So I have reason to believe it's a ignition problem. When I first got the car it had a stock 89 si eng. Then that threw a rod around 265,000 miles on it (probably cause I never change the oil in it for about 8 months and the fact it had 265,000 miles on it.) Then a friend gave me his hf engine to keep me on the road. Then finally I put the LS in cause I was tired of getting whooped by any thing with 4 wheels on it. Now I've had this problem since I've bought the car. I thought it might be a ecu issue. But I have a tegra ecu in it now. And it was doing the same thing when I had the si ecu in it. And like I said it only happens like once a month if that. It will turn over, but won't start. But if I turn the ignition off then try again a couple of times. It starts fine. I also put remote start on the car. And the last time this happened I couldn't get it to start. So I tried the remote start. And it started fine. Like I said it only does this like 1% of the time. So if this has ever happened to you, or you know what would cause this. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:46 AM
Up and running

It sounds like the a relay. When you have this problem take the key out and put it back in and listen to hear a click when the engine light goes out. You can also open the driver side door and listen to hear the fule pump prime the line. If you don't hear this then that is your problem. usually you can just keep turning the key on and off until it works. I had the same thing with my 90 Lx. Any honda dealer has the part and its about $35. Its easy to replace. The relay is located under the righ of the dash on the driver side. One bolt. Let me know if this is it.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:48 AM
Up and running

It sounds like the a relay. When you have this problem take the key out and put it back in and listen to hear a click when the engine light goes out. You can also open the driver side door and listen to hear the fule pump prime the line. If you don't hear this then that is your problem. usually you can just keep turning the key on and off until it works. I had the same thing with my 90 Lx. Any honda dealer has the part and its about $35. Its easy to replace. The relay is located under the righ of the dash on the driver side. One bolt. Let me know if this is it.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:50 AM
pwns.

Got an alarm with ignition/fuel cutoff? Maybe it is faulty.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Currently Ballin'

I've had the same thing happen a couple of times. Scared me at first. Now I know it only happens where there are hot girls around, so I just suck it up and crank it once more and it'll start right up.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:42 AM
All Aboard

i agree with cykociv. i'm willing to bet its the relay...as i had this problem with my 90 crx.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:38 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Same here in my old 91 CRX.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll replace the relay, and hopefully that solves my once a month problem.