Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

LS/vtec - Pros and Cons

Old 07-25-2002, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hah, you want to take a ride in this overrated ls/vtec?
ls/vtec is nice if your not ghetto
tegs are just to fuckin heavy, put the same motor that was in a teg and expect like .5 to 1 sec better times in a hatch
u need a turbo to move that fuckin slush box
Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 AM

What he said !
Old 12-13-2007, 10:10 AM
That ginger...

Originally Posted by 2qk4u
u need a turbo to move that fuckin slush box
Old 12-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Mr. Stealyogirl

grave diggers

Lurkin' in a hood near YOU!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:44 PM
starting over

omfg wow....yea ls trannies are better for boost and ls vtecs are over rated so just slap a turbo on......

ive heard it all now. o n the guy is askin for advice, not parts so lets stay on topic. if he was lookin for pistons he can find them when he wants to.

on topic tho.....first ls trannys are NOT better for boost. b16 trannies are probably hondas best tranny for ANYTHING! unless its a jdm type r tranny with the 4.7 final...but in any event. b16/gsr trannys are better bc the tighter ratio puts u in a better part of the power band after you shift. dont believe me? run ur car with an ls tranny on boost at the track, n then run it with a b16 tranny n c the difference in ur et.

ALSO ls vtec pros: more tq then gsrs bc of the longer ls stroke. and MUCH more potential, especially if u do higer compression pistons with the build (one of the things u all said right). your ls pistons will only give u 9.8:1 compression with that gsr head.

cons: slightly different rod stroke ratio makes ls vtec less rev happy. ls rod bolts are too weak to take much abuse at 8k rpm + so ull have to upgrade those, which is why ppl usually do higer comression pistons at the same time.

often times yes u will c a difference at the track in a hatch vs a teggy. but the driver has lots to do with it. ive seen full interior teggys with an all honda part n/a ls vtec build run mid to low 13s. sure ud run better in a hatch....if u can drive. to be honest yes ls vtec turbo would make a faster car, but itl b less reliable due to the added parts that come with a turbo kit. theres just more to worry about.

either way, what ever u do make sure u get the setup professionally tuned so that it lasts. dont cut any corners with the build bc ull end up paying more for that down the road. make sure what u do is well researched and the parts u buy are legit. hope this cleared up some stuff. any other questions can b answered in the ls vtec faq too. it helped me alot with my build

RIP PABLO AKA FATHEAD.....YOU WILL BE MISSED!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM
GEEZER

Very well stated!

JUST TELL IT TO CALL YA BILLY!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM
AEG

thanks everyone for bringing this back from the dead! i was 16 when i posted this!!!

as you can see, ive had my smattering of cars

Originally Posted by shinmei2006
if you want to have fun get the s2k, if you want to go fast in a straight line but get made fun of in everyday traffic, get the srt4
Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM

im 16, im building my ls vtec now. i got a ls block with itr pistons, with arp rod bolts, and headstuds. i got a golden eagle ls v kit. i got a semi built gsr head with stainless steel ferrea valves, skunk2 valve springs, and retainers. i got a gsr tranny. hasport mounts. skunk2 intake mani. and aem adujustable cam gears. im pretty sure that will be very reliable, and a friend of mine is doing the swap, he has done like 50 swaps alreay on ls v's
Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
aspiring luder

yeah, i read the first post and....why would you put an LSVTEC in an AP1...then looked at the thread date
Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Thumbs down

wtf! Who bumped this old ass thread!