Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Rebuild Question

Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 PM
ek9 mofucka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild Question

i gonna rebuild my GSR b18c1 block in a month or so. I heard Kings bearing are very bad so i am staying away from them i wanna know what are sum good bearings, main bearings, and piston rings to use for my rebuild. i will be hot tanking, honing the block, and balancing the crank before all shit goes in. also post any thing you recommend for the rebuild.. set up for N/A
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 PM

oem honda bearings are your best bet period
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #190
Old 07-13-2010, 08:30 PM

get everything from honda that you possibly can. certain things u can skimp on but i have NEVER built an engine without using honda oem bearings.

get some arp rod bolts and if u feel like it have the rods shot peened.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 PM
CRX.XXX

ARP Rod bolts and headbolts.
Go .5mm over and have them bore and hone the cylenders.
Shot Peen the stock rods.
Have a machine shop mic all the bearing surfaces to make sure nothing is out of round. At the very least, Plastigage everything.
Honda waterpump, oil pump, timing belt, bearings.
Aftermarket cam seal.
Consider doing new pistons while your at it (not that much, maybe $200 from Honda).
Many people dont think having a Honda crank balanced is necessary. Especially the vtec cranks, they're very well balanced from the factory.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 PM

ya i nver botherd with the balancing shit i was never going to put down anything over 200hp

but all that sounds right. PLASTIGAUGE is one of the most important parts though so dont get it wrong or your gunna get the wrong color bearing and blow your shit up.

anytime i rebuild mine i always overbore it just incase cuz im paranoid i never put the stock size pistons back in. i think i paid 225 for some type r ones new from honda

Last edited by 2qk4u; 07-13-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM

The GSR rod bearing is a special creation, with a unique pyramid coating/surface that came out of the company's F1 program. Use them, as the technology is better.
I'd go with Honda mains, as well, though you can save a little going ACL if you are lucky enough to be able to use standard sizing (green).
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM
CRAWFORD BUILT

there is nothing wrong with King bearings, we use them all the time (as well as Clevite77's) in our race engines. as far as rings DO NOT use OEM Honda rings. if your honing the block your clearences will go away and the OEM rings will not fit. you will need a set of aftermarket file fit rings, such as Top Seal, Mahle, or JE rings. also balancing isn't needed on an inline engine, there stress loads are always in the opposite direction of each other so they don't cause vibration unless they are WAY out. you can still have a "good" shop spin it up with weights and see if it's out any. and i mean a good shop. we fix other peoples work all day because of shotty machine work.

if this is something your going to beat on do not go OEM. aftermarket companies are out there for a reason.

also if your going NA and the engine will be apart then go ahead and get the head surfaced and get a valve job done. and look into getting a good set of cams and dual springs.

also make sure you replace the oil pump, water pump, and head bolts.

Gainesville Crew Member #1
DC Crew Member #23
Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 PM
CRX.XXX

On what civicized said, it's a good idea to check what bearing colors you have in the motor.
ACL uses all Green bearings, but you may be able to use other colors if the gap is still in spec.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 PM
ek9 mofucka

my head is already built and my tranny will be getting a full rebuild soon.. so i might as welll get the bottom end rebuilt becuase the guy who owned it before daily beat the helll out the car (reason tranny fuck no reverse grinds to hell 3rd and 4th,, and headgasket blew first week of me owning the car) i was just happy to see all the cyclinder wall in great shape when i pull the head off...

thankz for all the advice every1
Old 07-15-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by DC2_BoostKING
there is nothing wrong with King bearings, we use them all the time (as well as Clevite77's) in our race engines. as far as rings DO NOT use OEM Honda rings. if your honing the block your clearences will go away and the OEM rings will not fit. you will need a set of aftermarket file fit rings,
I maintain there is no good reason to skip the opportunity to go with the gsr bearings from Honda. The technology is recognized across the industry as a big breakthrough, just like the innovation of vtec.

Interesting about the OEM rings. I've never heard of a problem with OEM rings causing clearances "to go away." How so? Are you saying OEM Teikoku 0.25 oversized rings are not truly 0.25 oversized?