Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Honda/Acura Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/)
-   -   Tapping in the engine!!! (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/563460-tapping-engine.html)

CrXSibeast 04-12-2009 03:42 PM

bottom end needed to be reworked bc i had a rod nock, and no i didnt get my crank check but we did a gap test with plastique gauge or something like that, its more of a loud tapping sound coming from where the intake manifold is... idk exactly how to explain it

rangcrx 04-12-2009 03:46 PM

if you used the same crank after it already had a rod knock thats your problem.your going to have to rebuild it with another crank it will only get worse im on this if you reused the crank..jack the car up and start it get under there you will hear it nice and loud under the car.

Blown99civicSi 04-12-2009 04:45 PM

^^ x10

.Patrick. 04-12-2009 04:58 PM

im pretty sure its coming from the valve train. the crank was reused, and he didnt have it checked by the machine shop, though i would have liked him to, but he did plastigauge it and they all checked out. i've listened to it breifly, using a stethescope and from what i could tell its coming from the top end.

hondachris1994 04-12-2009 05:31 PM

Post video of the sound then we can evaluate from there. The crank should have been checked with a micrometer on the journal that had a spun bearing previously. Just because the bearing was plastiguaged doesnt mean that journal is straight all the way around.

Skee 04-12-2009 05:50 PM

ehhh if you had rod knock befor and reused that crank ruff surface not good

nenedelmambo1 04-13-2009 02:04 AM

ok, funny thing is that im experiencing this in my 420a eclipse, at first i was scared out my ass that is was a rod know or spun bearing, but i have driven the car within time and time and it still hasnt blown or spunn, and i actually floored it acouple of time in second gear and first gear and it doesnt wana blow or anything lol, but it does sputter.

it sound like a knocking/tapping sound. now this is where it get intresting, i have brand new lifters in the car beause previous ones where starting to click. so i put in these new ones, but i didnt know and after i installed them, they told me i had to take them to a shop and bleed them, so they told me to leave it alone and they will bleen them selves, noise will enventually go away, but seems like it just gets louder and louder, (its quite embarrising to drive, people just laugh) so yea, i dont beat on it, just like i floored it twice like i mentiones, but i feel like its performance has worn out, like it bogs and sputters time and time and spark plugs are new and wires and coil are in good shape. for some reason im thinking its valve adjusment, but idk how to do that. any tips on checking and fixing valve adjustment?

nenedelmambo1 04-13-2009 02:06 AM

i dont have super sonic hearing but i hear the lifters, but within that sound like there is an extra knock/tap and it sounds like its runing on the cylinders (sorta like a lawn mower lol) but it could be my imagination.

lzylst 04-13-2009 03:07 AM

aftermarkt cams and valvetrain? they are always noisy.

JAVIELITO 04-13-2009 03:31 AM

it can be ur LMA