Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Mini Me Swap Question

Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mini Me Swap Question

Ok I am doing a mini me swap on a 96 honda civic dx this specific model came with a d16y7 non-vtec motor. I am installing a z6 head of course equipped with vtec, and when about to turn on the motor noticed the motor did not start, went to autozone rented a compression tester and motor had only 30 compression. I know is not the block cuz it was running strong when pulled apart with no problems. I send the head to a local shop to see what was wrong with it. My question is what are the compression numbers that I should expect from this mini me swap as they call it. Y7 block z6 head. I want to know this because I want to make sure the mechanic did a good job. Please note that the head has been cleaned new valves, springs, retainers, and guides, also has been resurfaced. Thanks for the help tr.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Living in Black & White..

why didn't you use a y8 head instead of going back to a z6?? it seems like something got damaged along the way.. make sure ur block is in good condition and that the head gasket and head bolts where torqued down to specs.. i think comp for a mini me is around 11:1 if im not mistaken and if i am someone correct me, thats using a y8 head gasket for higher compression.. good luck...

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM

I know the y8 head is just plug and play but at the time I was looking for one I didnt find any they only thing I could find was the z6 head. And yes I used the y8 head gasket and the head bolts were torque down correctly to factory specs from a z6 correct me if a I am wrong step 1 - 22 step 2 - 53. Also gave it a couple of extra lbs of torque cuz I used the same head bolts didnt get new ones
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Living in Black & White..

first start cracked sleeve maybe.. i really could not tell you if everything is correct then there is no reason for such low comp.. was the 30psi across the board or only one cylinder?