Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Decided to go hybrid but.....

Old 09-21-2000, 02:52 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much consideration Ive decided to boot out the D16Y8 and go for a B18C.
Now though Ive got some questions:

1) Will a Civic coupe exhaust match up to the exhaust manifold of the B18C block or does it require a welded flex pipe?
2) Should be able to just use 99+ Si motor mounts for the new setup right?
3) Any axle mods required (other than I have to swap out my old ones for teg axles)?
4) Who has some great deals on complete engines? Wishing for JDM but will settle for local.
Old 09-21-2000, 04:23 PM
Livin' in Seattle

hey bill take those questions and call this guy....his name is John Wilson he works at LHT performance 727-344-1800 he can get any motor you want and put it in for you you can also try kenji he also does gsr swaps but i dont have his # either way both of those guys will stear you in the right direction...good luck!!!!!!

------------------
teal 94 integra gsr 99 saw blades aem intake &cam gears. moderating since sep. 2000
skunk 2 coilovers
Old 09-21-2000, 04:26 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Thanks. Wont be swapping in a motor till around the middle of next year but I figured Id start researching everything now and getting all the parts I need that might unexpectedly become needed during the swap.
Ill give John a call later tomorrow and I think Ive got Kenjis email address somewhere.
Old 09-23-2000, 12:35 PM
Team Titan

1) Will a Civic coupe exhaust match up to the exhaust manifold of the B18C block or does it require a welded flex pipe?

Usually it will require modifications. There are 2 easy ways to do it from what I have heard. Supposebly a header for a USDM ITR header will bolt right up. If not you can just have a test pipe done for a cat and have it done the right length or if you would like to keep your cat you can have an intermediate extension pipe put in between the cat and the exhaust.

2) Should be able to just use 99+ Si motor mounts for the new setup right?

not totally sure but you should/could get the integra mounts with the motor and they should work.

3) Any axle mods required (other than I have to swap out my old ones for teg axles)?

Nope not if yo are sticking with a B series. If you went H then you would need custom axles and a motor mount kit but your safe with the B.

4) Who has some great deals on complete engines? Wishing for JDM but will settle for local

Kenji Does VERY Clean work...Same goes for John at LHT.....as far as getting a motor a lot of people have good deals through www.importautosalvage.com and talking to larry. If you are looking for a JDM contact Sheng at JDMhondaparts.com.
Old 09-24-2000, 06:47 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Man...this swap is going to be too simple than. Going to go the easy way and buy a
pre-rigged harness and then all I need to do is bust out the tools stands and rent a cherry picker....oh and Ive gotta remember the ol trusty Helms manual.

By the way anyone have any experience with JG Engine Dynamics? Im somewhat interested in the blocks they are selling.

Old 09-24-2000, 07:05 PM
Team Titan

Just Garbage

OEM honda is the way to go unless you plan to add serious boost and in that case I would go with benson sleeves.
Old 09-24-2000, 09:05 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Na Im not interested in their cams or anything what I am intereted in is the work they do ie: Blueprinting balancing cleaning decking etc...

I dont really know of anyone around here who does good engine work (on Hondas) and I hear JG does a decent job. Im considering just buying a short block from them that theyve worked over. Dont want to mess with the head yet though since Im not sure if the block will stay NA or go Turbo.

Old 09-25-2000, 08:58 AM
Team Titan

Just curious on how you plan on buying a BUILT shortblock if you dont know if you are going to stay NA or boost? Last time I checked the compression ratios varied GREATLY between the setups and without knowing I find it kinda of hard to buy a shortblock. If you are staying NA you can always go with a B18C5 shortblock from acura for 2100 dollars or if you are going boost you have Spec R who I am sure can build motors and also braman.
Old 09-25-2000, 01:49 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Sure the compression ratios will vary on a prepped block BUT thats only if you overbore it.
Reread my message above I said I was interested in things like blueprinting balancing deburring etc.
Since I dont know what path Ill take yet I dont want to lean in any one direction but having a prepped block would not be a bad idea.
If I decide to go NA then I can always just prep the head for the application and change out the pistons/rods possibly even stroke it. Nothing Im considering doing is going to affect the compression ratio other than maybe the pistons I choose.

Oh and by the way JG allows you to customize the engine work to your own needs. I dont just plan on buying some generic block that theyve fiddled with.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 09-25-2000).]
Old 09-25-2000, 03:21 PM
Team Titan

Shortblock usually refers to complete bottom end and longblock complete with head.... I was just assuming that you where talking about an already built bottom end. while you can change the compression ratio a lot with the head obviously if you want to run NA you dont want the same 8.5:1 pistons that you would have for turbo. If your gonna spend the $$$ on a block thought why not check out Spoon? Endyn? JG has a huge turnaround time if you last name isnt LAM or Papadakis or any of the other big names. If I where going to get a block I would go with a nice B20 prepped by endyn that has been destroked using the 1.7 crank and custom rods/pistons. This is for Na of course but this setup could yield nice results with a turbo.