Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

supercharger tuning question

Old 06-05-2006, 03:34 PM
B.B.C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger tuning question

ok i have a 1990 civic with a d16y5 motor in it, i have a jackson racing supercharger that i plan on putting it in soon as i have everythign to tune it right, i have vtec e which is not hooked up or anythign the car is obd0. now my question is if i get a zdyne gold ecu and get the one wire vtec hook up will it engauge and be able to tune my supercharger well with it . i know its expensve but i have heard good things about it and by the time i convert to obd1 and get a tuned ecu it will practaly pay for the zdyne gold let me know what you think about this and how well you think it will work on my setup. thank you
Old 06-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Engineer at the source

Originally Posted by Gringo003
ok i have a 1990 civic with a d16y5 motor in it, i have a jackson racing supercharger that i plan on putting it in soon as i have everythign to tune it right, i have vtec e which is not hooked up or anythign the car is obd0. now my question is if i get a zdyne gold ecu and get the one wire vtec hook up will it engauge and be able to tune my supercharger well with it . i know its expensve but i have heard good things about it and by the time i convert to obd1 and get a tuned ecu it will practaly pay for the zdyne gold let me know what you think about this and how well you think it will work on my setup. thank you
Contact www.lhtperformance.net

John has been tuning Zdyne for longer than most people on this site. Not to mention he is a Zdyne dealer. Also, if you convert to OBD1, he has all the goods to convert to that and also is a Hondata dealer/tuner if you want to go that route.

Jason

9.69@151 Street Car
JKOBD
Old 06-05-2006, 05:54 PM
B.B.C

but would zdyne be able to tune the car right with no problems i would rather go that way cause if i converted and when hondata or whatever it would be a little more so id raher go zdyne. i just need to know if it will do a good job of running my car correctly and also how hard is it to tune these ecus? could i do it with my lab top and the directions they give you to do it or do you need further knowledge
Old 06-06-2006, 09:40 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

I have zdyne with my vortech supercharged b16a which is currently non aftercooled and the zdyne stock forced inducted program is doing okay. we programmed the ecu to kick in my vtec after we wired for it.

John over at LHT has tuned a lot of cars using zdyne, he has moved away from obd0 from my understanding to move to a ecu program that can handle the whp he and others are pushing

for your JR set up the zdyne would be fine, the biggest part of the JR on a sohc set up from what I have been told is making sure your timing is correct

if you are an unexperienced tuner i would def recommend hiring someone who can tune

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 06-06-2006, 03:56 PM
B.B.C

ok cool thanks, i dont want to run a ton of boost i want to run anywhere between 5-7 psi so hopefully the zdyne will be good for those low numbers.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Paul @ LHT Performance

Zdyne will be perfect for your application. Give us a call at the shop. 727 344 1800
Old 06-06-2006, 06:00 PM

Zdyne is a waste of money but it is an obd0 solution if you must keep an obd0 system.

There are plenty of affordable obd1 solutions such as crome.

Look into the tuner directory listed at:
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/h...directory.html

Good Luck

Authorized Dealer & Tuner for: Hondata, eCtune, Neptune, AEM, Crome, Precision Turbo, Omni Power, Walbro, Innovate & more. Dyno Tuning Services, Ecu Chipping, Chipped Ecus, Conversion Harnesses, Widebands, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pumps, Map Sensors & more.
For more information visit http://www.Phearable.net or call 1-888-236-9831
Old 06-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Paul @ LHT Performance

Zdyne is a waste of money in your opinion but will work just fine for his setup. Dont be so close-minded.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by DAMPACHI
Zdyne is a waste of money in your opinion but will work just fine for his setup. Dont be so close-minded.
I agree that it will work. But, why would you buy a obsolete fuel management system when you could buy a chipped obd1 ecu, obd0 to obd1 conversion harness & a obd1 distributor for around the same price ?

You and I both know that 90% of the "efi" tuners out there would choose to go with an obd1 system.

Authorized Dealer & Tuner for: Hondata, eCtune, Neptune, AEM, Crome, Precision Turbo, Omni Power, Walbro, Innovate & more. Dyno Tuning Services, Ecu Chipping, Chipped Ecus, Conversion Harnesses, Widebands, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pumps, Map Sensors & more.
For more information visit http://www.Phearable.net or call 1-888-236-9831
Old 06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
John @ LHT Performance

I still use and recomend Z dyne on OBD-0 cars, They work very well with no bugs or problems at all.They are true plug and play and will supports all a supercharged setup would need. We have found the Zdynes to be limited on injector size, I ,nor Bill at Zdyne could tell you why but much over 680cc injectors they don't control very well.
We use Hondata more these days as must cars we build and higher HP, and controls 1000+ injectors perfect. It's your choice, go with what your tuner suggests.

727 344 1800

*Turbocharging* Engine building* Tuning *Intercooler piping*exhausts* headers* clutches ,fabrication and much more

13 years in the same location.

** HONDATA Authorized Dealer+ Tuner **

01 Type R-647whp street car w' AC - Cover of turbo magazine Feb 2008

01 K20a INSIGHT - Cover of Honda Tuning magazine June 2008

2011 KR-Z K20 powered CR-Z -Cover of Honda Tuning magazine April 2011