Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

prelude power problem

Old 11-07-2005, 04:09 PM
who needs an education?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prelude power problem

ok im having a power problem with my 97 prelude. everytime i go to start it up my batterys dead. last week we replaced the battery and it seemed to fix it for a couple days. i was thinking maybe it was a connection problem, because the other night i charged the battery all night then when i got up in the morning to leave for work and hooked the battery all back up it still wouldnt start but then when i jump started it, it starts up fine. so the only way i get the car to start right now is by jump starting it. any suggestions?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Doing Work.

load test the battery....if it fails replace it, check your terminals...replace if needed, crank the car and get it running, once running check for voltage at the alternator and at the battery...look for about 13.4-13.8 volts. if you dont have that check for a connection problem on your alt. or starter....still no replace the alt. and if none of that is it check your fuses then......

~josh
Old 11-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Doing Work.

also if that is all fine....check the positive cable while its connected to your battery for an amperage draw(current) after about 20 mins of the car sitting. if there is a decent amount(like 5 amps) start pulling fuses until the current stops, then troubleshoot that electrical system...maybe a faulty ground, switch relay etc.....

~josh
Old 11-08-2005, 04:20 AM
smokes weed...everyday.

[QUOTE=r2double0pala]ok i have a 97 prelude.[QUOTE]

i think i found your problem right there...

jfwy

check the alternator.

TR "Old Skool EF" Member #121(aka#420)
Old 11-08-2005, 05:09 AM

i had a similar problem with my car it was the negative cable, but my battery is in the trunk. try doing what i did to find out if its the negative cable. get jumper cables attach one end to the negative terminal on the battery and ground the other end to the chasis of the car, the car should start up if you have a bad ground.