Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Cr/vtec ???

Old 02-19-2005, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cr/vtec ???

Long story short, I have a complete B16 swap right now but unfortunatly the block needs rebuilt (i believe it to be rod knock). I've been looking into getting it rebuilt but it seems like it's going to cost at least a grand to fix. I've been looking around on the net and it seems like the cheapest route would be to get a B20 block and just use my B16 head and Intake manifold on this motor. This swap is a left over from a previous car and it's going into a project car. This will be not be a daily driver, just a fun car to mess around with on the weekends. My question is, how much truth is there to the rumors of B20's grenading themselves when people rev them to 7600-8000 rpms. I've looked around on various websites and it seems like people have had good luck with these setups, some who have had it for 2-3 years and had no problems. Has anyone on this board had any personal experience on this setup rather than the usual, "heard it from a friend of a friend who read it on a car forum???"
Old 02-19-2005, 09:57 PM

Facts are:
1. A b20 is a 84mm block which has low compression pistons.
2. 84mm aftermarket pistons are not cheap.
3. Stock b20/ls rod bolts are not reliable after 7k.

They make nice power if they are built properly but it will get a little pricey.

Authorized Dealer & Tuner for: Hondata, eCtune, Neptune, AEM, Crome, Precision Turbo, Omni Power, Walbro, Innovate & more. Dyno Tuning Services, Ecu Chipping, Chipped Ecus, Conversion Harnesses, Widebands, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pumps, Map Sensors & more.
For more information visit http://www.Phearable.net or call 1-888-236-9831
Old 02-19-2005, 10:14 PM
It's a wooden pickle.

another thing to think about

open deck block + 84mm bore = thin, relatively unsupported cylinder walls.

thin, relatively unsupported cylinder walls + high revs = cracked sleeve a go go.

ask big truck driver... he was rocking the cr/vtec to 9k rpms... managed to crack all 4 sleeves.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mtber
Facts are:
1. A b20 is a 84mm block which has low compression pistons.
2. 84mm aftermarket pistons are not cheap.
3. Stock b20/ls rod bolts are not reliable after 7k.

They make nice power if they are built properly but it will get a little pricey.

I think it matters on which B20 you get. I thought the stock B20z had 9.5/1 compression with a redline of 6800. And isn't there a B20b which has lower compression, like 8.5/1 and a redline of 6200. I wonder what's the difference in volume between the stock B20 head and the B16 head as far as raising/lowering compression just from switching heads. I wouldn't mind having to install some aftermarket rod bolts if it meant a lot more reliability, the motors probably only going to see aboe 7200rpms a couple times a month. It just seems like a waste of money to spend $1500 to have a stock motor.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Miles
another thing to think about

open deck block + 84mm bore = thin, relatively unsupported cylinder walls.

thin, relatively unsupported cylinder walls + high revs = cracked sleeve a go go.

ask big truck driver... he was rocking the cr/vtec to 9k rpms... managed to crack all 4 sleeves.

Damn that's insane both cracking all sleeves and revving that motor up that high. I wouldn't mind buying a used B16 or B18c shortblock but, good luck finding a good one for a decent price. Secondly i already got burned on my current motor by someone on this board, so im a little leary about buying again. I bought the complete swap got it in my car only to find out that the motor knocked upon the first time starting it up.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:37 PM