Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Quick? this is an EMERGENCY! need help

Old 10-02-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick? this is an EMERGENCY! need help

I need help guys!
I'm currently swapping a D16Y8(OUT OF AN 98 EX) into a 99 civic dx hatch. Have any of you guys(or girls) every sucessfully completed this exact swap? I'm having problems, the new engine is in, I tried to hook up a p28 with skunk2 conversion harness and it fried an o2 sensor in my intake! So i'm running with the dx computer instead. But the car is running like crap, ideling at 2000 rpm and it sounds like it's running on two pistons. I will pay anyone who can come over and help me get this thing running correctly. Please, only experienced folks only, because both my father and I are both mechanically sound! Please post a response or give me a call if you feel like getting dirty today
Matt (813)495-0172
thanks for everything
Old 10-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Engineer at the source

What engine harness are you running? Is this an automatic? O2 sensor in your intake?

9.69@151 Street Car
JKOBD
Old 10-02-2004, 10:10 AM

the harness from the 99 civic dx
Old 10-02-2004, 10:12 AM

no, actually its a five speed(the dx), and the 98 ex engine was from an automatic
Old 10-02-2004, 10:13 AM
USAF

u need the obd2 vtec wiring harness, then u have to run a vtec line and i think a knock sensor line into the ecu.try adjusting the idle maybe. i've never herd of an O2 sensor in intake mani.
-Chris
Old 10-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Trialed for Treason

there are two different versions of OBDII..sometimes called OBDIIa and OBDIIb. 98 and previous civics are OBDIIa..99and after are OBDIIb. if the skiunk2 adapter harness was previously used on the 98 civic that the motor came from, then the harness is for a OBDIIa...if you are now using the 99 harness then you need a OBDIIb aadapter harness. the wiring pinout is very, very different.
<cliff note version> get a new adapter harness for the 99 version

that as your original problem ...as to why it is the way it is now...don't kow.

Last edited by SEEKERone; 10-02-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Engineer at the source

Originally posted by SEEKERone
there are two different versions of OBDII..sometimes called OBDIIa and OBDIIb. 98 and previous civics are OBDIIa..99and after are OBDIIb. if the skiunk2 adapter harness was previously used on the 98 civic that the motor came from, then the harness is for a OBDIIa...if you are now using the 99 harness then you need a OBDIIb aadapter harness. the wiring pinout is very, very different.
<cliff note version> get a new adapter harness for the 99 version

that as your original problem ...as to why it is the way it is now...don't kow.
Haha...this is funny. You can not use the OBD2a engine harness on the OBD2b chassis.

Are you throwing any codes?

9.69@151 Street Car
JKOBD
Old 10-04-2004, 09:02 PM

actually,
I'm running the obd2a on an obd2b harness, and im throwing no codes at all. The only problem that im having now is throttle response! When I punch the throttle, the engine boggs out (sounds like the engine shut off), but then as soon as i let off the throttle, the engine goes back to normal ideling. I hope that someone out there has an answer to this problem(this is my daily driver and its sitting in my parents garage)! thanks for all your guys and gals help
matt