Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

LMA's

Old 09-01-2003, 05:41 AM
I <3 your mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMA's

My b16a hatch is having alittle bit of a prob right now. At right around 3k rpms there is a pretty loud noise comming from my head. before that there is nothing same as after. Now i have been reading up alot on it and i cant find to much about them. But what i have found out on Lost motion assembly is that Type R ones go for right around 30 dollars a piece and theres 8 :o . From reading up on Honda-tech.com i found that Omniman uses this : (2000 prelude vtec LMA's are far less exspensive but you will have to use a .040in thick washer under them. they are just as stiff as the ITR LMA's but only cost about 8-9 dollars. i have them in my car and have run them in many engines that i have built with no problems! they look like tear drop shaped valve springs )

All my valves are fine everything is working good but i just need to get that damn noise out of there.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:06 AM
yO!

Valve adjustment maybe?

Or your arm-rockers are worn out? Very possible if you are running big cams with high lift and duration.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:05 AM
I <3 your mom

Its pretty much a bone stock b16a, stock cams and all. The valves are adjusted just right, and like i said its only at 3k. I would think valves would clatter all the way though the RPM band.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:44 PM
I <3 your mom

thanks John, thats right where the noise is at 2,800 to 3k. Shit im really suck on what to do? Its a stock intake man too.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:50 PM
E & I Certified

Originally posted by Vapor
I'd like to listen to this noise. Typically if the LMA's are worn, they make the sound at idle. The conditions you are describing point to an OEM exh manifold problem where the welds break internally, causing the inner tubes to rattle at around 2800-3200rpm.

I'd also be very hesitant to use a shorter LMA. Even if you use a spacer, you comprimise the available travel of the lma. If you're gonna be playing around in expensive cylinder heads, expect to pay for expensive parts. ie do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again
I get a rattle at 2800-3000 but its a heatshield.. weird how its only in that rpm range.

good luck
Old 09-01-2003, 05:13 PM
I <3 your mom

but could you hear it from inside your car? mine is pretty damn loud.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:44 PM
E & I Certified

Originally posted by StreetDriven
but could you hear it from inside your car? mine is pretty damn loud.
yep . it rattles terribly. only in that range though. inside, outside, on the other side of the street. its annoying. i just need to get the thing up in the air and fix it... im lazy .
Old 09-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Now with more c5!

this sounds like a problem that im having with my gsr, its the loudest fuckin noise between 3k & 4k, i dont have stock headers and i took off the heat shields around the header and cat and exhaust. anybody have any ideas?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:46 AM
KJ
bored at work

Actually the prelude LMA's can support cams with up to 12.7mm of lift. I'm interested in trying this too. Also from a reliable source I've been told that the 00 civic si's LmA's perform identicle to ITR ones. The only difference is in the part number and lack of a blue dot. I picked up several sets of 00 si lma's for around $40 a while ago used so that may be a good alternative.

Gracie Barra Clearwater Gyms in Clearwater, St. Pete and Port Richey
pm me if you are interested in trying a free class at any of the gyms.