Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.
View Poll Results: keep the d16?
yea sure, why not...
47.06%
hell no
52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Need Input: keep D16Z6 or save for b16a or better?

Old 08-03-2003, 10:59 AM
once your bit, your done.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Input: keep D16Z6 or save for b16a or better?

I just moved here from california about 2 weeks ago....I bought a red '89 honda crx si. It has a '95 VTEC Civic Si swap with about 26k miles on it. it has msd ignition/ rpm activated switch and dc sports 4-2-1 header and some shitty exhaust pipe job. now, would i be wasting my time fixing up this d16z6, or should i look for a b series engine or what??? i need peoples inputs pleaaaaaaase!
Old 08-03-2003, 03:20 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Depends on what you want from it. With only 26K miles, I would personally look into a GReddy Turbo kit for about $1400...which is cheaper than buying a complete swap and everything else needed for the swap. Cha Chi had kit on his D-Series motor and it hauled from what I've read. But if your not a big fan of FI, then a b16 is a good platform to start from...except everyone and there mother has one. If you had the money, a B18c1 is a really good platform to start from. It all comes down to what your looking for....a little more get up and go here and there..I'd say sohc and turbo kit...more drag racing and reliablitly...b-series and go from there.

TR Profile
Myspace Profile
Old 08-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Tha numba one stunna

keep that motor till you get bored with it then get a b18 swap don't get a b16 my lawnmower has more tourqe...
Old 08-03-2003, 10:28 PM
gadget man

keep d16 running good for now, after the swap it can be used to recoup some of the cost of going to b series. B16 or B18 its up to you B18 costs more by about 4k and only give 20 more horse initially. if you go turbo you will see more potential in a B18 given that fi is a ratio of boost to base hp.

If you want to go with a turbo, and If your doing the work yourself and you have just enough money for a b18 then don't, get a B16, look on tr or ebay and turbo the engine. when I went looking for the same info on a swap I found B16 with tranny and ecu $1300, B18 $5400, mount kits are needed for both(depending on the car) so the pricing cancels out. now for the 4k diff in price you can get a turbo on the b16 and the right way, I'm talkin hondata stage 3b(new), blitz sbc and power meter id(new), hks ssqv(new), tial 38mm wastegate(new) t3 or t3/t4 garrett turbo, apexi turbo timer, the added gauges needed, and a few odds and ends of your choicethis also includes upgrading the radiator and getting a fmic.

the end result for the same money put out either a B18 at 180hp or a turbo b16 that sounds bad ass and puts out approx 236 hp at just 7psi and 280 hp at 11 psi on stock internals.

its up to you run low to mid 14's in the 1/4 (b1 which beats a stock mustang gt or run 12.9 in the 1/4 on street tires at 12 psi in a 92 hatch, which lets the vette next watch tv on your indash dvd player and lets the mustang cobra read your license plate as it falls behind.

Oh and if your lawn mower has more torque than a b16 then try letting a j body fan tune it since they know more about the engine than you, or take the f-16 jet engine off the damn lawn mower.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 10-13-2005, 06:15 AM
White girls suck;)

My advice is the same as the first guys. Doesnt matter what Honda engine you decide to get, you can get HP out of them one way or the other. Turbo single cam should haul. My freind has the b18 in his 94coupe and he walks GT stangs all day on stock motor. So I say turbo the single cam and have fun with that for a while. If you get bored you can sell the turbo S/C motor in a week flat and get the b18. Happy Hondaphiling.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:08 AM
El Mas turboso

What are your plans. Going as fast as possible with a Honda engine, or just give it a little more power, and run a decent 13 second pass at the track. If all you want is to get to 13's a nice turbo kit will take you there. You can piece one together, it's not really hard, or buy a kit. Piecing it together you can get a better combination of parts to match your car/engine.

If you want to go faster get a B-series swap. If you want to go all motor, get something with the mighty Vtec Yo!!!! .

If you want a turbo, you can deal with a non Vtec B18, commonly refered to as an LS engine, even thought more cars had them. You can find an LS for cheap, $500-$800 with decent miles. Then Turbo it for another $1500-$2000, and you will have a faster engine and car than an all motor B-series Vtec engine for about the same amount of money.

From there you can built a better engine and make it faster. If you really want a B-series, leave your car alone, get a B-series engine first, build it, do it right, then swap it in. You get less down time doing it that way.

But it's up to you and your goals

2002 Subaru WRX
1988 Honda Civic Hatch
Old 10-13-2005, 08:55 AM
Rockin' 4 more Cylinders

Originally Posted by Pdubinator
My advice is the same as the first guys. Doesnt matter what Honda engine you decide to get, you can get HP out of them one way or the other. Turbo single cam should haul. My freind has the b18 in his 94coupe and he walks GT stangs all day on stock motor. So I say turbo the single cam and have fun with that for a while. If you get bored you can sell the turbo S/C motor in a week flat and get the b18. Happy Hondaphiling.
Dude , Dont bring shit up from 2 years ago. READ THE DATE gaddamn i hate that shit , NEWB!

_Jake D
Old 10-13-2005, 10:35 AM
VALE TUDO!

Originally Posted by Cold_Beer
Dude , Dont bring shit up from 2 years ago. READ THE DATE gaddamn i hate that shit , NEWB!