GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech Technical Discussion for General Motors Products both past and present

Starting issues

Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starting issues

I am having issues starting my 1995 GP GTP.
I searched this forum about issues related to the alarms and the starter, but I couldn't find anything similar to my issue so here goes. Now before any of you say that its a problem with the starter or the battery, let me describe the situation. Every once in a while it takes multiple turns of the key to get the car to start. Whenever this happens, all I can hear is a click that comes from the engine somewhere. The first time I hear it, I turn the key a second time and, most likey, it will start. But sometimes I have to turn it a third, maybe a fourth time, or fifth time and then the car finally starts up just fine. It doesn't seem like the battery is dying because I just had it replaced less than year ago. And when I test it with a voltmeter, voltage shoes that its normal so that should rule out the battery. Also, when I'm driving at night, the lights don't appear to be dim or seem to flicker when using the power windows or anything else, so that would mean that the alternator is working and that its charging.
So if its not the battery or alternator, the next thing I started to look at is the starter. I replaced the original one about 6 months ago the same thing was happening. It was worked fine, with no issues, up until a little over a month ago, and then the same thing started happening again. So I bought a new AC Delco start and had it installed. Well, the new starter didn't change anything because its still doing it. Now I'm asking myself, how can the same thing happen when I just put in a new starter? I can it be that this new starter is defective? I don't think so. There must be something else that's causing this.
Now, I'm thinking that it could be that the PassKey chip on the ignition key which is not making good contact when its inserted? I tried using the spare, but the same thing happens so that pretty much eliminates the key.
So lets see, I've tried ruling out the battery, alternator, starter and PassKey, so the only thing I can possibly think of is the factory alarm (VSS-150).
Could there be a some kind of relay or kill switch that's going bad?
When I bought the car, last year, the previous owner had the alarm set to valet mode and then I changed it to active mode. Once I did that, that's when the starting issue started to occur. It didn't happen immediately, but I'm guessing it started to do this about a month or two after I had switched the alarm to active.
Now I'm thinking that the previous owner had it on valet mode because he knew about it. I don't know.
Anyway, I managed to switch the alarm back to valet mode, but the same thing is still happening. I don't know what else to try.
Has anybody experienced a something like this?
Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

2010 BMW 335i
Monaco Blue, Premium+Sport package, Steptronic shift

2005 Ford Mustang GT
Redfire Metallic
5-spd
IUP
Diablosport Tuner
Ford Racing silver Bullitt wheels
K&N
Car Domain - Ford Mustang GT

1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes 380SL roadster
Old 03-28-2005, 10:44 AM
PSSHHH x2

i would go with the defective starter...repeated clicking like that usually points to it. if it was a security feature, you wouldnt be hearing any click, it will cut power to the fuel pump and starter. my car does it sometimes, i have a security light in the car that comes on when the resistor isnt working right or whatever it doesnt do and i can turn the key all i want, pump wont come on and the car wont even go for the starter.

im not sure what your starter is like, but are you replacing the motor, or the throw out motor, or the entire thing. the starter should pop the gear out (what your hear "click") and then the motor should spin it up to start the car. your getting 1/2 of it. i would double check all connections aswell. then look into getting the new one warrantied.
Brocks megaphone
Spencercycle 10" swingarm
MPS auto shifter
Hays convertible clutch

Yea, that about sums it up...

Old 03-28-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sneakin Deacon
i would go with the defective starter...repeated clicking like that usually points to it. if it was a security feature, you wouldnt be hearing any click, it will cut power to the fuel pump and starter. my car does it sometimes, i have a security light in the car that comes on when the resistor isnt working right or whatever it doesnt do and i can turn the key all i want, pump wont come on and the car wont even go for the starter.

im not sure what your starter is like, but are you replacing the motor, or the throw out motor, or the entire thing. the starter should pop the gear out (what your hear "click") and then the motor should spin it up to start the car. your getting 1/2 of it. i would double check all connections aswell. then look into getting the new one warrantied.
Thanks for your input Kenny.
Yeah! I replaced the entire starter with a new A/C Delco remanuf, but to me, its seems strange that this same thing would happen.
Could this be somewhat of a common occurence with remanuf starters?
I guess I'll have to pull it out and get another one, like you said, and see what happens.
Hopefully, I can get to bottom of this real soon. I'm planning on going on a long road trip and I don't want to deal with this while I'm on the road.

2010 BMW 335i

2005 Ford Mustang GT
Redfire Metallic
5-spd
IUP
Diablosport Tuner
K&N

1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes 380SL roadster
Old 03-28-2005, 12:27 PM
PSSHHH x2

reman units are just that...reman'd. they should be good, but there is nothing to say they will be other than the warranty, but you still have the labor in it. its worth a shot since its "new". i cant see it being anything else. my car's starter is going aswell...its ok when cold, but once ive driven it some, it takes 3 or 4 cranks.
Brocks megaphone
Spencercycle 10" swingarm
MPS auto shifter
Hays convertible clutch

Yea, that about sums it up...

Old 03-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Precision Motorsports

The Silenoid on the starter maybe. Usually they go bad and that happens.
Tuned by Precision Motorsports
Old 03-28-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sneakin Deacon
reman units are just that...reman'd. they should be good, but there is nothing to say they will be other than the warranty, but you still have the labor in it. its worth a shot since its "new". i cant see it being anything else. my car's starter is going aswell...its ok when cold, but once ive driven it some, it takes 3 or 4 cranks.
Yeah. When I first start the thing in the morning, it always starts up the first time. Very strange! You'd think that the A/C delco would test it before shipping it out. I don't know, we'll see if the replacement will work.
I may have to pull the thing off myself. Hopefully its an easy job to do.
Well see.
Thanks again.

2010 BMW 335i

2005 Ford Mustang GT
Redfire Metallic
5-spd
IUP
Diablosport Tuner
K&N