General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

MR2 owners!!!

Old 12-28-2002, 08:42 PM
Blown 7thgen... Literally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MR2 owners!!!

Hey... I'm the normal honda owner... but i'm getting rid of my honda and looking for a toyota... I'm interested in a 2000 gt... but that's not what i really want... I've always dreamed of having a MR2 turbo... well i found a company with an MR2 adn they have said they have a package for getting a jspec sw20 turbo motor swap with HKS exhaust and intake... but i wanna know how good the motor is.... is it better than the americanized turbo motor??? much better power??? i need info.. and recommendations.. thanks
Old 12-28-2002, 10:23 PM
THE HAMMER

out of the box u may make more power... by like 10-20 hp... I'd say get an american MR2 turbo, and spend money on an intake, bov, SDS, CT26/35R turbo from www.extremeboost.com, a KO racing exhaust www.ko-racing.com, and a wallburo fuel pump and supra injectors. You'd be looking at 350 + RWHP.. more likely 400...

check out board.mr2faq.com for more info
Old 12-29-2002, 03:53 AM

They can be made fast, the 3sgte is a very strong motor. It can handle just about whatever you throw at it. A good friend down south makes 967rwhp out of a stroked 3sgte (2.2L), so you know the head can flow the power. In looking for one to buy, look for a totally stock one, its better to start off with a car that noone mucked with before hand. As for tuning mods, its all about your goals. stock turbo will get you till about 225-250rwhp, upgraded ct26 220-270, ct20b 250-330, td06 260-410 etc... These are the most common turbos of the mr2 community due to availabilty and cost. there are three important things when modding an mr2, intercooling, timing, and fuel lines....

1. You need effecienct intercooling, the stock location is crap the side mount whether upgraded or not heatsoaks within two passes... (trunk mount or A/W would be the best)

2. The timing on a 3sgte is very aggressive, when you start modding and leaning teh curve out with an S-AFC, the timing maps get as aggressive as 42degrees of advance (due to teh AFC defunkting the Air flow signal) and pistons start to break.... (get a Stand AQloen if you have high hp goals)

3. Mr2 turbos stock fuel lines are equivilant to that of a Military -4AN, its tiny. So when people stick in an aftermarket pump and leave stock lines fuel tends to dribble out of the lines. Its similar to blowing through a tiny straw, your giving it alot of pressure but not much is coming out. SO I suggest again if you are going for high hp, upgrade all the stock lines, to atleast a -6AN...

PS: Mr2's are a unique animal in every aspect, learning how to drive it, learning how to work on it, and meeting all the people that will be waiting to greet you when you buy one.l...

HTH, sorry for going in complete detail on this thread,
if you have any questions you can email me at al@garageadvance.com
My Website: www.powersimagery.com
My Job: Vegas Magazine | Retna LTD | Tao/Lavo/Marquee Las Vegas
Old 12-29-2002, 06:41 AM

Default that's fine

Naw... that's fine streetracer... I mean that's what i want info like that so i know what are the problem areas to fix for more power and the different types of turbo's for the power efficiency's.... thanks... and if anybody else has somethng to say say it... thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 09:06 AM
THE HAMMER

Well i bow to garage advance's power (you remember me, i had the gold S13 at the orlando meet.... I was right behind you for both pulls against scott.. what a great VIP seat!!) But i am curious... would my formula posted above work well? it seems to me as if it would, tell me if i am missing something....
Old 12-29-2002, 09:27 AM

well it seems that no one has been able to squeeze more than 330 out of the stock cams. But I know it has more. As for teh turbo, again nothing proven just yet, no one has tried that turbo, so who knows. As for teh fuel system, It could work, just need to upgrade those fuel lines. And get an FPR. But you were definately on the right track with teh SDS, any ems would work and definately neccessary.

Thanks for teh compliments. You should see it now I have much more area under the curve and making the same amount of power on lower boost. I will be cranking up the boost this week after I install the new tranny and clutch.

My Website: www.powersimagery.com
My Job: Vegas Magazine | Retna LTD | Tao/Lavo/Marquee Las Vegas
Old 12-29-2002, 09:29 AM
THE HAMMER

well i must say that its definanately much easier to get ot 350 RWHP than it was 2 years ago for MR2's in america....... Now its like a 4-5K adventure instead of a 20K journey
Old 12-29-2002, 05:33 PM

Default times????

o.k... now what are the quarter mile times??? stock and modified????
Old 12-29-2002, 07:07 PM

Stock 1/4s are high 14s 0-60 in like 6sec,later good luck in your hunt for a 2 ,i didnt relize how much people were asking for these cars until i got mine,i paid 600 with a bad h/g,but im doing a total rebuild ,well anyway good luck bro,later.Ray
Old 12-30-2002, 08:17 AM

Default damn!!!

This is just makin me happier and happier.... now i'll roll up and just completely embarrase all my friend with the honda's and acura's.... they all have the little rice burners... and run high 14's with si motors and all the weight reductions.... and If i get this Mr2 I'll be just chillin wit em stock... not to mention i'm already getting exhaust and intake and custom piping with the package deal i buy from the place i'm talking with about it... damn... this is awesome.... what about just basic bolt-ons like the exhaust intake, piping, and boost controller?????? times???