General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

real vs fake wheels a small video...

Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 PM
MDJ_KUF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

basically if you hit a curb with "knockoffs" they break. if you hit a curb with "real" wheels they just bend.either way your fucted.
as far as copyright infringement , who cares if the major wheel manufacturers cant corner the market anymore. theirs "knockoffs" of all good designs deal with it, just for the record i rock real wheels for now but bet when i buy some more wheels that i like theyll be "knockoffs".
Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Oh, Hi.

Originally Posted by VTECracker
basically if you hit a curb with "knockoffs" they break. if you hit a curb with "real" wheels they just bend.either way your fucted.
as far as copyright infringement , who cares if the major wheel manufacturers cant corner the market anymore. theirs "knockoffs" of all good designs deal with it, just for the record i rock real wheels for now but bet when i buy some more wheels that i like theyll be "knockoffs".
That's actually one of the best points the real wheel Nazis have, and I side with them on that point. I know it's hard to design a wheel that's unique, and a lot of people dedicate some time doing that, I'd hate to see my design replicated.

I'd consider that an extremely valid point to purchase "real" wheels.

DC5-S: 343whp @12psi/pump *sold*
E46 BMW: Dinan / ACS / Hartge / UUC *sold*
E30 BMW: M50 / H1C / low boost *sold*
EJ8: aggressive fitment DD
TSX: NBP A-Spec 6spd, slammed on 18x9.5's +20,+17.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
buildin' it

so wait.
there are Roto wheels that get certified?

doesn't that jack up the whole argument? or am I still missing something
Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM
MDJ_KUF

like i said above who cares designs get copied all the time everyone whos posted regardless what side have bought a product that was a knockoff of another product dont kid yourself. the point being if you make something good its going to get copied and for anyone who doesnt go to walmart but posts on TR is a lyin bitche
Old 03-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh, Hi.

Originally Posted by Empire
so wait.
there are Roto wheels that get certified?

doesn't that jack up the whole argument? or am I still missing something
Sure does, derails the whole argument, call it Rick Scott.

DC5-S: 343whp @12psi/pump *sold*
E46 BMW: Dinan / ACS / Hartge / UUC *sold*
E30 BMW: M50 / H1C / low boost *sold*
EJ8: aggressive fitment DD
TSX: NBP A-Spec 6spd, slammed on 18x9.5's +20,+17.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM
MDJ_KUF

^ ha ha i see what you did there
Old 03-15-2011, 03:45 PM
That One Guy

HAAAA, go up to some shoe collector, weither they're a high heel girl, or a fresh sneaker guy, and tell them that there expensive shoes are pretty much the same as cheap walmart shoes, see what happens, LMFAO, they'll all have the same arguement that the wheel nazi on here have.

And nice post with that Rota certificate, LMFAO, that pretty much shuts them up for now.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:03 PM
MDJ_KUF

knock offs for the WIN
Old 03-15-2011, 04:29 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

well, at the very least, every wheel has to meet a certain standard in order to be sold anyways, or they wouldn't even let the crappy wheels on the road.

another point, every cheap wheel out there is cast. i think a majority of rays and other higher end wheels are forged. forging is stronger, and apparently costs more, and thus you get more bending than breaking, but a curb or proper pothole will destroy any wheel if you hit it just right. so with higher priced wheels, it's not necessarily the exclusivity or design that you're paying for, it's the process by which the wheel was made (and is INTENDED to be stronger). most high end wheel manufacturers have built their "name" for such because they use forging, and thus their line of wheels are always priced higher, and for track use, have been proven to withstand.

it's the same reason you'll always pay more for a carbon fiber hood than you will a fiberglass hood of the same design. sure, the fiberglass is lighter than stock, and when painted they all look the same, but the carbon is a different material/process altogether and thus should be stronger (but not invincible).

i rarely see any guys rocking cheap wheels tracking them, and i rarely see most guys buying expensive wheels tracking them either, so for the sake of 99.5% of TR, where the only track they see is the courtney campbell, just about any wheel will suffice and make them look super jdm tiiite cool...and just about any wheel will destroy itself when the idiot driver plows into oncoming traffic too. lol
Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
No

Originally Posted by edmel89
HAAAA, go up to some shoe collector, weither they're a high heel girl, or a fresh sneaker guy, and tell them that there expensive shoes are pretty much the same as cheap walmart shoes, see what happens, LMFAO, they'll all have the same arguement that the wheel nazi on here have.

And nice post with that Rota certificate, LMFAO, that pretty much shuts them up for now.
I made my final post in this thread. You guys can keep supporting crappy brands like Rota, and that way when companies like Rays go under, there won't be any aftermarket wheels because Sportmaxx and Rota won't have anyone to copy off of.