General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Transporting a car across states?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting a car across states?

I'm buying a car back down in Ft. Myers, but I live in Atlanta. I know that slapping the plate from my Trans Am on there is HIGHLY illegal and frowned upon. So how do I drive the car back from Florida into GA legall without having any issues?

I know this may be a stupid question but do they give temp tags at the dmv or am I SOL at the moment?

Edit: (Private seller, not at a dealership)
Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 AM
cant stay off v-tec

you can get a temp tag here
Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Mark G

fwiw, I drove a car from texas to florida with an arizona tag lol. Little different scenario though, I traded cars with a guy from arizona and we just kept the tags and mailed them back.

I really tried to get answers from everyone. I called my DMV, they said call texas. I called texas dmv and they said they can't give me a temp tag. I said fuck it and just prepared to tell my story if I got pulled over. Never did though so whatever..

I think one of the most legal things to do is actually have no tag and have your bill of sale and proof of insurance ready for when you DO get pulled over. I didn't want to deal with how many times I would have been pulled over with that huge trip though.

Oh and I just remembered.. I just picked up this Subaru from Atlanta earlier this month. I left the previous owners tag on it for the ride home and then mailed it back. Again, probably not legal but I'm sure it happens all the time.

Last edited by markzeronine; 08-06-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:12 PM
405hp=SLOW

Get a temp tag or drive with no plate and have a bill of sale and proof of insurance.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Found the Vtec switch.

I bought my hatch and had no tag, drove it back and forth from sarasota 3 times in the first week I had it. I get the bill of sale, title, and insurance with me..but never got pulled over. I actually didnt transfer the title for like 3 weeks because i was so busy..but only drove it a couple times.

TR Old Skool EF Crew #24
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Resident TOB Killer

Honestly you should be fine. I bought my car and drove around for a couple days with no tag on it. I carried around all the paperwork for the vehicle, bill of sale, insurance information, etc, and was well-prepared, and still didn't get pulled over.