General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Warning::::: Toyota Recall!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Sexist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADP71
So they made a call to 911 saying it was stuck, and not ONE person said to put the car into neutral ?
Might have happened too fast for anyone to react. After all, it was a Toyota. VTEC probably kicked in.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
Might have happened too fast for anyone to react. After all, it was a Toyota. VTEC probably kicked in.
Toyota VTEC: rumored to put Honda's VTEC to SHAME.

Mah boi told me

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 PM
TR BALLS DONOR!!!

Originally Posted by CadetLD
Just shut the engine off or put it in neutral. If the mat is blocking the brake pedal use the EMERGENCY brake. Simple as that. Sure you might loose power steering but thats more controll over the car than you had before right?

(1) You could shut the motor off, but you have to put the key in the "acc" position for the wheel to stay unlocked!
(2) Putting the car in nutral @ 120 would still keep the car moving quite fast for quite a long distance.
(3)Not sure if you have ever pulled an E-brake at 120, but it would make you loose complete control, unless you were in neutral and pulled it very slow!

My question, they said "they called 911 1 min. before the crash... In that time they couldnt think of anything to do, but say "hold on, pray, and screem!

R.I.P. and sorry to hear that it happened but, come on.

Thanks for all the input, and btw my parents and granparents have only owned camry's for about 10 years and never had a prob.....
DC member #41
Venice Member #1
"ID RATHER PACK THE HEAT AND NOT NEED IT, THAN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT!!!"
Old 10-09-2009, 11:54 AM

(1) True, so just turn the key into acc wich is half the distance than all the way off.
(2) Should still have brakes in neutral
(3) IF you dont have brakes (mat blocking), use the emergency brake as intended, not like a skreet drifter, Ive used my handbrake to stop numerous times without sliding or crashing. Its called an emergency brake for a reason.

All of these are much better options than praying for god to stop your car or calling the police. Any one of these measuers would still keep the car from accelerating any faster, aside from giving up on 1 and 2 completly and just melting you e-brake with no affect on the car's speed. (btw wasnt one of the passengers an ex-LEO?)

Not trying to debate or argue, you made good points about the wheel lock. Just making my point. RIP to those who died and condolences to the family and friends.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Thread TERRORIST

I'm surprised traction control, ABS and balloons didn't save their lives.
I bet I could outdrive you with ABS on a regular public street, in the same car, if you didn't have it. And I bet I could survive a worse accident than you with 'balloons' in my steering wheel and door.

Face it. They're good inventions. I'm not sure why you don't like them, as they do nothing but make you safer.

VVTI. Honda's gimmick is VTEC.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:38 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Originally Posted by BAMF
I bet I could outdrive you with ABS on a regular public street, in the same car, if you didn't have it. And I bet I could survive a worse accident than you with 'balloons' in my steering wheel and door.

Face it. They're good inventions. I'm not sure why you don't like them, as they do nothing but make you safer.
The original balloon was to save face--literally. I was taught that it was to prevent costly facial damage.

VVTI. Honda's gimmick is VTEC.

Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 10-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian
The original balloon was to save face--literally. I was taught that it was to prevent costly facial damage.
Would you rather I smack you in the face with a steel-reinforced piece of rubber, or a big bag full of what for all intents and purposes in an impact, is air?

Ah...Lame.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Old 10-09-2009, 02:10 PM
E & I Certified

They don't make the driver safer, they make the car safer. Learning proper driving techniques makes the driver safer.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by 1BADP71
They don't make the driver safer, they make the car safer. Learning proper driving techniques makes the driver safer.
No problem, I can put it in terms you can understand and relate to.

Are you safer in a level I vest or a level III vest?

Are you safer in a Crown Victoria civillian model WITHOUT the stab plate, of a P71 Police Interceptor Crown Vic WITH the stab plate?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Would you rather I smack you in the face with a steel-reinforced piece of rubber, or a big bag full of what for all intents and purposes in an impact, is air?
Yeah, but the whole thing is that you're supposed to be 10"-1 foot away from the steering wheel when driving (anyone who gets burns from airbags was too close...they're friction burns) and the seat belt is supposed to stop you. There's lots of theory vs. practice in auto safety, because you cant always be 100% safe all the time