General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

New member - Need Advice

Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member - Need Advice

Hi,

I'm a new member, but I've been on TR a few times, always good info, and if not, always something funny to read.

When my tax return comes in, combined with savings, I'll be in the market for a new daily (new to me) I don't want payments, and I'm looking at a budget of around 7k-8k (no more). I would prefer getting something for about 6k and spend 1k-2k in simple mods, and a good tune up.

I've been reading some specs, reviews, and even a few threads on here about some cars I have in mind, like the whole S2000 thread I saw a while back, but thats a little out of my budget. And It lacks cargo space, which I kinda need some times.

I need some advice on some cars you think I should get or look into. I prefer a standard, sporty car, but automatic is ok I guess. I kinda wanna get out of the FWD scene, and I dont want to worry about modding my car and getting it stolen. I want some power, nothing crazy, just enough for daily driven. And again I'm looking to keep it pretty stock, simple, clean. I some times make far trips, and carry some luggauge.

Any Idea guys? And no offense, but as of right now, I don't want to buy an old civic, and spend 6k to make it nice, I just want a nice daily driver.

As of now I have the lexus SC300, then a little extra for an alarm, lowering, exhaust, tint, and tune up, any thoughts.

Thanks guys. Oh and keep the aberviations to a minimal, I know what "LOL" means, thats about it.

Thanks to all!

Last edited by C_Smith; 12-27-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:02 AM

SC300 was the first thing that came to mind, good to see you were considering it. Nice RWD daily driver is really what that car is about. I can't think of anything else in that price range that I'd really recommend.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Registered-Honda-User

Welcome to the site. It's good to see a member who actually uses punctuation and grammar.

As for a car...

The first that come to my mind would be a WRX, or an A4. Both are right around that price range. They're both pretty fun and sporty. The WRX is probably a bit faster, and the A4 is probably a bit fancier.

Just an idea. Hope it helps.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:34 PM
my mojo so dope

anything with vtak

welcome to TR

Old 12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
i love girls

Or a clean Kouki S14

Jst4shw store: HID's-LED's-LUGNUT's-STICKER's-JDM GOODIES's

Like us on facebook
Old 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Retired Moderαtor

I didn't know FWD was a scene
Old 12-27-2008, 06:46 PM

Thanks alot everyone. I've looked into WRX's, but a few things I didnt like about them. But I'm gonna try and read up on the A4.

Thanks again everyone. Oh and when you go to a car meet, and all you see is FWD cars over and over again, everytime, then its a scene.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:48 PM
That One Guy

Sc300 gets my vote, I would say miata, i love them, but you didnt like the size of the s2000, so nwm

welcome to tr
Old 12-28-2008, 07:28 AM

Any more inputs? Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Haul'n the Family

You want decent power, cheap to modify, rear drive, some cargo space, and don't want to spend too much cash (less than $7K) right? What about a decent late model (SN95) Mustang GT? I'd prefer the fox chassis 'stang, but good luck finding a unmolested one.

Another option, a early late 90's or early 2000's high mileage, but well kept 3 series Bimmer? Though maintainance costs could get you....but so will a SC300's.

Way off the chart, but a viable option for what you are looking for, Maybe you can find one of those Nissan Frontier Crew Cab's with the supercharger, not really that fast, but it meets most all the other requirements you are looking for. Just an idea...probably gets around 20mpg average.

Then there is the 240SX of course. RWD, a bit of cargo space, decent platform to modify. 2nd gen body style will generally be easier to find and less likely to have been ragged out. Plenty of them in your price range. But then there is the whole "being in the scene" part that you might not like about them.

And if you really like the S2000, but can't afford it. Why don't you go out and buy a clean 1st gen (post '03) Miata, and then also get a el-cheap-o daily driver for the same price as one car? Like a nice little used daily driver commuter car. You could have both for $7-8K.

PLUS

= two cars for the price of one.

Last edited by fastforward; 12-28-2008 at 09:00 AM.