General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Jdm = New Rice

Old 12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
That One Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jdm = New Rice

I was thinking, reading threads, and other forums, and came to this conclusion.

This JDM fad is the NEW rice, not the same as it being rice. But it is the new rice.

Now I know JDM is not new, but in the past few years it has increased in the amount of people that like it, and want it., Making it a fad.

Simple, the concept behind being a "RICER" (which is use far to often, just like "wow thats clean") is modifying parts for looks, more then half the time the parts do not function, or serve no purpose at all.

Example of the is: A GT style wing on a civic, and espicaly a stock civic.

Now JDM is not the same, BUT, tell me what is the purpose in spending massive amounts of money for JDM SIR bumpers for a civic, other then the fact that it looks good. Also, EF's with the JDM front, no purpose, expect its hot.

A civic with a body kit is the same as a integra with a JDM front end, just think about it, it serves no purpose.

Now don't get me wrong, JDM style is nice, but tell me what is the purpose of spending so much on JDM parts. Now a few JDM parts serve a small purpose, for example, front and rear fog lights, Mugen Lip (If you consider it as a air dam) and a few others.

BUT HONESTLY ALL THE JDM JUNKIES THAT DO WHAT THEY DO ARE FOR LOOKS AND FOR SHOWS, ETC, ETC. NOW TELL ME WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS FROM A "SHOW CAR" THAT MOST PEOPLE CALL RICE.

Now, I believe the term rice should change. No more calling a well done car with body kits, and wings, crazy int. mods, and somewhat engine mods, no need to call them a ricer.

A ricer should in fact be anyone that does something in a cheap, rushing, and poor manner simply to get attentions of others, and to give the look of a nice/ fast car.

Now, i wonder all the flaming that will come, please no BS comments, just smart input, And I stilll like JDM over "RICE" but this Rice BS is what was the major style years ago, now its kids' with JDM shit, so its simply the new fad.

Just wanted to make a point, sorry for offending anyone with JDM cars, if thats your style thats your style, but if you feel that way, you should not bash guys that like body kits, etc, etc.

P.S. If anything I said doesnt make sense, let me know, I'll try to explain better.

Last edited by edmel89; 12-16-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Ro.
®

omg..
Old 12-16-2008, 03:02 PM
pfft.....

the difference between a ricer and jdm is like comparing a dozen eggs to 12 eggs. Its the fucking same.

and not all ricers go out the cheap way. I have seen numerous riced out cars that have thousands wrapped up in them in un-neccesary mods.

the main way i classify someone as being jdm or a ricer is an indivudal that has un-neccesary or non functional mods that are either dis-tasteful or over the top.

Last edited by Garrett; 12-16-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 PM
That One Guy

true, about some ricers spending way to much and making to look bad, but thats poor taste lol
Old 12-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Fap Fap Fap

my take on the subject is this:

-jdm/edm/rdm whatever. these parts are factory from one region or another. sure they are for "looks" but they don't claim to be "racers". the money is spent on a different functional look.

-ricers i.e. wings,"alteezas",big tachs,pointless gauges,neons, generally serve no purpose other then grabbing attention. they are generally very poorly constructed AND are assembled by those with the mentality of a fucking 6th grade student.

but this subject has been covered quite a few times
Old 12-16-2008, 03:09 PM
You Can't Moderate Me.

You seriously over evaluated the fuck out of this.

And people have been saying JDM is the new rice,for years.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
OG Join Date: 6-15-00

This is thread is brought to you by the guy with the uniwiper conversion.

1973 VW Squareback
1979 AMC Jeep Cherokee Chief

RIP Tim

Old 12-16-2008, 03:15 PM
That One Guy

Originally Posted by presidential
This is thread is brought to you by the guy with the uniwiper conversion.
Ahh, one of them smart comments, last time I checked I got rid of that, sorry were all not perfect our first try at something new.

Last edited by edmel89; 12-16-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
You Can't Moderate Me.

Originally Posted by edmel89
Ahh, one of them smart comments, last time I checked I got rid of that, sorry were all not perfect our first try at something knew.
*New.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
That One Guy

Fixed, thanks