General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

What are the shops missing?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the shops missing?

Well guys and gals I have been asking a few people in the area, and I am pretty interested in what you as the customer are looking for in a shop.

Import or Domestic, stock or modified. What, in your opinion, are the shops in the area not doing for you?

This can be based on things like on-hand inventory, parts availability, backlogs in trying to get in, or things you just cannot find.

Are there specific things you would like to see changed, such as later hours, mechanics that come to you, or something else.

Seems like there are shops you guys like, and shops you dislike. This thread is not for bashing any of the shops, you can do that somewhere else.

Cheaper prices are not going to be an option, as most of you do not even realize the overhead of opening a shop, and keeping it open.

So TR, I ask, whats on your mind?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Balut Delivery EF1

Originally Posted by TheCamel

Cheaper prices are not going to be an option, as most of you do not even realize the overhead of opening a shop, and keeping it open.

This thread already failed.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Boostaholic

Buy parts online and do our own work... problem solved. No shady employees to deal with, no uneducated mechanics learning on your car, no one else to blame but yourself when something goes wrong. My 2 cents.

TURBO SERVICING & SALES | FUEL INJECTOR SERVICING
GARRETT - BORGWARNER - BULLSEYE - HOLSET - 3K
TiAL - TURBONETICS - FULLRACE - PRECISION
Shop Forum | FaceBook | Website | Online Store
Old 12-07-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by TokyoBeBop
This thread already failed.
Explain to me how you could lower the shop costs out there then...

Have you looked at the price of basic shop equipment lately?

Do you realize the cost of ASE certifications?

The special tools involved in working on cars with OBD II?

Lets look at the problems most shops are having, Overhead

Most shops have the basics, electricity, roof over their heads, and shop equipment.

A general repair shop, not a speed shop requires an average of $3500 just in non-direct costs. Now add in the payroll, and schooling to keep your mechanics (we will say 3) and your cost with health insurance, and specialty tools puts this close to $5500/month just to open the doors.

Add in shop vehicles (parts runner, possible trailer) and fuel for the truck and the insurance for that and your looking at a minimum of $6000

Advertising, promotional sales, and taxes all add up.

This is not johnny's backyard, who cannot do a lot of the diagnostics he needs without the Solace, Mentor, Modis, Tech II, SuperStar, or DRB III they may need to diagnose. None of these sell for less than $3000, and some of the bigger ones like the Modis will run you well over $6000 with cables and updates.

So please tell me where the small shop is supposed to cut costs?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned

uh...
Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 AM

possibly do the diagnostic free if the owner pays for the repair.but if they get the diagnostic and decide they want to fix at home charge for the shop time to do the diagnostic?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Have you looked at the price of basic shop equipment lately?

Do you realize the cost of ASE certifications?

The special tools involved in working on cars with OBD II?

Lets look at the problems most shops are having, Overhead

Most shops have the basics, electricity, roof over their heads, and shop equipment.

A general repair shop, not a speed shop requires an average of $3500 just in non-direct costs. Now add in the payroll, and schooling to keep your mechanics (we will say 3) and your cost with health insurance, and specialty tools puts this close to $5500/month just to open the doors.

Add in shop vehicles (parts runner, possible trailer) and fuel for the truck and the insurance for that and your looking at a minimum of $6000

Advertising, promotional sales, and taxes all add up.

This is not johnny's backyard, who cannot do a lot of the diagnostics he needs without the Solace, Mentor, Modis, Tech II, SuperStar, or DRB III they may need to diagnose. None of these sell for less than $3000, and some of the bigger ones like the Modis will run you well over $6000 with cables and updates.

So please tell me where the small shop is supposed to cut costs?
I hardly find that our problem. Charging 700 for a water pump install isn't exactly smart, when the pump itself is 150, and the new belt is 30. Now, would you rather get a couple hundred for your time, or nothing.

Johnny is selling one apple for 1 thousand dollars, and suzie is selling 1000 apples for 1 dollar each. Who do you think is going to get the thousand first? Lower prices for good work is going to bring you referral customers and repeat customers, while high prices may get you the money you need at first, you'll end up finding that your fucking yourself in the end.

and you need 3 mechanics to start out with why?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
No more Vtec!

I would much prefer to DIY with any work with my car. I like to learn as i go and have screwed myself in the past. The reasons why i tend to stay away from shops as much as possible is 1) the money it takes to do anything. Im a broke full-time college student. I cant afford 60-80/hr for labor. 2)doing some reasearch usually proves that i can find the same parts for cheaper then what shops charge for them. 3) i have a hard time trusting shops/employees. I always feel as if im getting screwed over on stuff i have no knowledge about. I would prefer to wait 6 hours for my car to be completed then leave and come back while some punk kid takes my car for a joyride. (i used to do it when i was 17 in NY when i worked at a tire shop.) and 4) like i said, i enjoy learning about the engine and how things work and dont mind getting my hands dirty at all. good luck with the new shop! when/where is it?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:51 AM

lol hazed, when i worked at a tireshop me and another guy took out a FHP cruiser and were fucking with the lights and everyone on the road. Ah the goodtimes before cameras were in all the cars....i hope.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Balut Delivery EF1

Yes I have and idea how much it will take to open the shop, but this thread is you asking what the TR community is looking for. And you taking out what we are looking for, then you are just wasting your time.

As for parts that most of the TR community needs, I'm sure there are reputable shops (to them) that have it on hand. And when it comes to prices on parts, you won't peel me away from RX Motoring unless you can provide me with a very reasonable competitve price to convince me to buy from you.

So pretty much the TR community is looking for a "cheaper" price if you want our business. Service or Retail price, choose where you want to cut down.