General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

car insurance/registration ?

Old 01-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Mazing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car insurance/registration ?

Can you have insurance to a car that is not registered to yourself. ie you don't own it. I bought insurance in my name and listed a car that is not mine. Also the car has out of state plates.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Lucky

You do not have what the industry calls "an insurable interest" in the car that you have possession of, so should a claim come about, I doubt it will be covered. Also, insurance for a vehicle must be purchased in the state that it is registered in, by the person that owns it. Good luck.
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I have O.C.D.

you can insure a vehicle that you do not own,some companies do it(progressive,esurance,I know first hand).But if you were in an accident or total loss the check for repairs or total loss would be made out to the owner of the vehicle.But your car does need to be registered in the state you live unless you are in school or military.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I love to choke people.

^Listen to this dork. He knows everything about scamming....I mean legit insurance.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I have O.C.D.

Originally Posted by terry.ho
^Listen to this dork. He knows everything about scamming....I mean legit insurance.
you damn skippy
Old 01-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Mazing

Originally Posted by Jewbu
But your car does need to be registered in the state you live unless you are in school or military.
well i cant register a car that is not mine. So can i use someone else's car that lives out of state, and I insure that specific car in my name?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
I have O.C.D.

Originally Posted by beebo10
well i cant register a car that is not mine. So can i use someone else's car that lives out of state, and I insure that specific car in my name?

the insurance company usually wants to make sure the vehicle is registered in the same state you live/vehicle location. This is due people insuring vehicles that don't live in the state given due to insurance costs. example...
vehicle is registered in NY but has insurance in FL. Insurance is cheaper in FL so people scam the system this way.I hope this helps
Old 01-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Mazing

well I already bought the insurance. they do require you to get the vehicle inspected by one of their affiliates. i had to list the out of state plates. so i will see if they accept it or not. anyway thanks for your help.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:52 PM
drives euro trash

I think you may run into an issue here. It may get past underwriting and they may bind the policy, but if you do get into an accident down the road this could be a coverage issue. You are insuring a car that is registered to another person out of state. There really is no proof that this vehicle is garaged in FL. Looks like you are doing the right thing and telling them up front though...at least they couldn't try to nail you for material misrep if the shit hit the fan.

As it was mentioned before, the only case where I think this would be acceptable is if you were a student or in the military...but it really depends on the insurer's underwriting guidelines. Good luck.

Last edited by Alan; 01-11-2008 at 05:57 PM.